Letter to Clients re Disclosure
This is a precedent letter that we use to request financial disclosure from clients.
Please note that you will need to use your judgment in using this letter. Not everything listed will be required in every case. As well, the list really only covers a standard case. For instance, if your case involves a business, significant additional documentation will be required.
[Name of client],
Would you please provide me with the following information:
- Your 2017, 2018 and 2019 income tax returns, including all schedules and attachments and any notices of assessment and/or reassessment.
- Your three most recent consecutive pay stubs.
- A letter from your employer stating how much unused sick leave, vacation pay and severance pay you would have received had you been terminated on the date of separation, being [date].
- A detailed list of the contents of the matrimonial home.
- The exact model of your vehicle. Please let me know whether this vehicle is held jointly with [name of spouse]. Please let me know if there are any other vehicles held jointly with [name of spouse].
- The transfer/deed of land for the matrimonial home.
- For assets: A statement for your [name of account and account number] that shows the value at the date of separation, your name as the owner of the account, and the account number.
- Your most recent pension statement.
- A statement from the insurance company outlining relevant policy details (i.e., type of policy, beneficiary, face value, cash surrender value), etc.
- For liabilities: A statement for your [name of account and account number] that shows the value at the date of separation, your name as the holder of the account, and the account number.
- Please let me know whether you had any assets at the date of marriage.
- Please confirm that during the relationship, you did not receive any large gifts or inheritances from someone other than [name of spouse].
- Your marriage certificate.
If you have any questions, please contact me.