Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

Could be a crap shoot for me, I just couldn't afford a $300 plus an hour lawyer. The cost imo would have outweighed what I am asking for. Mine charges $150.00 per hour. I'll let your know how I make out.

YoungDad91, how did you know your first lawyer wasnt very good?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:57 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I would think you need a good lawyer to identify and articulate the relevant facts before a judge.
Being able to articulate the relevant facts of a case should be a threshold for "competent", rather than "good". The judge wants to know the facts. They want to make the right decision. The lawyer's job is to guide them there (or settle for something reasonable if their client has a losing case).

Quote:
The tables turned three hundred and 60 degrees the minutes a notice of change was signed with my present lawyer.
Hopefully not quite that much, or else a bit more...
Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
The lawyer's job is to guide them there (or settle for something reasonable if their client has a losing case).
Hmmm, maybe this is where negotiating a settlement on arrears comes in??? Hold off paying to the bitter end and wait for a discount.

I'm becoming very cynical of this whole system
Old 03-09-2018, 04:53 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
this is where negotiating a settlement on arrears comes in??? Hold off paying to the bitter end and wait for a discount.
Ideally you settle for a discount at the start, not the end - that is when the payor's position is strongest.

If the recipient, either discount at the start (get money sooner) or offer to settle, slam the at the motion to change, and get a cost award.