Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:40 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

Could be dealing with them is the lessor of 2 evils. The ex or FRO?

In my high conflict case, I would prefer the FRO. But I am not even there yet, still working on trying to get a court order for child support So I highly value the advice of others who have dealt with them.

Stillbreathing do you think you would have been better off trying to collect on your own? Do you regret involving them?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 AM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

FRO us supposed to have more ways to collect than a person would on their own. One of the problems is that they are very very very slow to implement any of them. Just like court, they take way to much time to take any action. That’s why it an be extremely helpful to contact the Ombudsman to light a fire under their rear end. Glad I contacted the Ombudsman because now FRO are behaving themselves better and for the most part we have things settled.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 AM

WorkingMom2007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Unfortunately they don’t enforce until he reaches $3000 is my understanding. Definitely try talking to your caseworker. Try to call first thing in the morning. They tend to answer calls when they first open at 8:30.
The FRO will not enforce action unless payor has been behind payment for (I believe) 3 months or $3,000 dollars. My ex has been behind consistently for close to 4 years, and only now they are beginning "aggressive" collection methods.

I would suggest contacting your FRO caseworker, on a regular basis. The more noise you make, the more they respond. If you're not getting any response, have your local MPP intervene on your behalf. The benefit you have is that your ex is employed and not self-employed.

If your agreement/order has a late payment interest, start filing the interest rate. That was a HUGE motivator for my ex, once he realized his interest payments were 2.5X what he pays in child support.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:39 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Definitely call the ombuds office too. The fact that they get a large volume of calls on FRO is a motivator to the government to add staff and address the issues. Its not a solution but it gets the gears going.

As their statement says “good parents pay” and there are thousands of good parents. Unfortunately there are a lot of “bad” parents who think punishing their ex’s is a great idea. Take note of this for future litigation with your ex.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:45 AM

WorkingMom2007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate331 View Post
Could be dealing with them is the lessor of 2 evils. The ex or FRO?

In my high conflict case, I would prefer the FRO. But I am not even there yet, still working on trying to get a court order for child support So I highly value the advice of others who have dealt with them.

Stillbreathing do you think you would have been better off trying to collect on your own? Do you regret involving them?
Even with all the issues with FRO, I don't regret it. My ex is all about controlling me by using leverage. If I asked for a travel consent, he'll invite for an arbitration of summer vacation BEFORE he signs the consent letter, never mind one is not contingent on the other, and he's in contempt by refusing to sign the letter. If I asked for a change in weekend to attend an event, it becomes let's play "Spin the Wheel" for a host of issues. Thankfully, we have a clause that says I can cancel a weekend as long as I offer up a weekend of mine. But that doesn't mean I won't get a call from the Police or CAS on some made up allegation.

So, having FRO involved with CS is helpful, as they do have more means to enforce than me.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:46 AM

Ange71727 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Definitely call the ombuds office too. The fact that they get a large volume of calls on FRO is a motivator to the government to add staff and address the issues. Its not a solution but it gets the gears going.

As their statement says “good parents pay” and there are thousands of good parents. Unfortunately there are a lot of “bad” parents who think punishing their ex’s is a great idea. Take note of this for future litigation with your ex.

Thanks. I haven’t considered calling the Ombudsman but I will do so if I can’t get anywhere with FRO. For the record, just called FRO twice - it’s 8:30 am and they already aren’t answering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2018, 06:21 PM

My partner started faxing them. He would get letters or calls back. Then he spent one morning calling them repeatedly. It took him about two hours but he got his answers. He also tried signing up for online service but they screwed that up too. The ombudsman is very forceful when they call and they deal directly with upper management. Having been on the receiving end of an ombuds call at my former employer, I can safely say they are scary and get the job done!
Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

Ange I think you need to have his portion of daycare fees changed into an order that FRO can enforce instead of him doing direct deposit to you because clearly its not working. From your previous post looks like he is employed, so eventually they can garnish his wages.

Do you feel now that this has to do with you mediating instead of going to court to get an order? Or it wouldn't have made a difference?
Old 03-06-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate331 View Post
Do you feel now that this has to do with you mediating instead of going to court to get an order? Or it wouldn't have made a difference?

Even with a court order she could have experienced this. Mediated settlements are turned into an order when it comes to cs and s7. Her ex refused to pay which led to the mediation and now continues to be a dick. The saddest part of this whole thing is that people get away with this and they make good parents who pay look bad.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Ange71727 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Even with a court order she could have experienced this. Mediated settlements are turned into an order when it comes to cs and s7. Her ex refused to pay which led to the mediation and now continues to be a dick. The saddest part of this whole thing is that people get away with this and they make good parents who pay look bad.

I agree with Rockscan that this would’ve happened regardless. An agreement is as good as a court order in the eyes of FRO. He has a rich history of being in arrears and fighting me on any money related issue. FRO will eventually enforce. I did end up getting through to someone and will now be going through the process of adding the daycare amount on. All of this is super time consuming and stressful. I shouldn’t have assumed I was in the clear after a year of litigation and a final amending agreement. He was only on his best behaviour when it “mattered”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk