Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:38 AM

scouter_cameron is on a distinguished road
Default Progress reports

2 of my elementary school age children received their progress reports 2 weeks ago. 2 separate email requests to their mother to have either a copy or the originals to copy have gone unanswered.

Is it legal for their mother to withhold this information from me?

Thanks!!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 AM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

You can get copies from their schools, and set it up that both parents get a copy directly from the school in the future. Thats how we do it.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:00 AM

That's what I am going to have to do. Easier than trying to work with an apathetic mother with no interest in co-parenting.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:03 AM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

You should also be on any school email lists. Usually following report cards are parent/teacher interviews. You dont want to miss those either.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:04 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

To answer your other question, I'm not sure if the mother has an obligation to provide you with the school information. You have the right (assuming joint custody) to obtain it from the school. The school has the corresponding obligation, not the mother.

Unless your separation agreement says otherwise...
Old 02-26-2018, 10:07 AM

I am on all the mailing lists. And a Facebook group. I scheduled my own P/T interviews last time and will do the same this time.

I also have frequent conversation with the teachers as I am not seeing homework come to my home when my children reside with me.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:35 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter_cameron View Post
2 of my elementary school age children received their progress reports 2 weeks ago. 2 separate email requests to their mother to have either a copy or the originals to copy have gone unanswered.

Is it legal for their mother to withhold this information from me?

Thanks!!
Get them yourselves. Under both the Children’s Law Reform Act and the Divorce Act, 1985, the legal right of a non-custodial parent to have access to a child includes the right to make inquiries and to be given information concerning the child’s health, education, and welfare.

In the absence of a Court Order or separation agreement that explicitly states you are not allowed access, each parent/guardian will have equal access to their child’s records.

Just get the stuff yourself. There is nothing "legal" about this. A good parent would just go get the information and not create unnecessary conflict.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Just get the stuff yourself. There is nothing "legal" about this. A good parent would just go get the information and not create unnecessary conflict.
I resent your implication of not being a good parent. I came here looking for advice and support as this is all very new to me.

Perhaps your holier than though attitude would best be kept to yourself.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:10 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter_cameron View Post
I resent your implication of not being a good parent. I came here looking for advice and support as this is all very new to me.

Perhaps your holier than though attitude would best be kept to yourself.

Oh jesus settle down. No one is saying you’re a bad parent. Stop asking the ex for stuff. Get it directly from the school. There’s no sense in poking the bear on ridiculous stuff like information you can get from an outside source.