Best lawyers ckeck list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best lawyers ckeck list

To be a great lawyer . Lie , Cheat , Deceive , Cause pain and anguish , Mislead , Distract and of course Rob. I could go on ,

Now the point to my opinion is this ... If you as a lawyer can not do all these things don't feel bad at least you can still Rob.
    You must be all of the above to be truly appreciated, for the ones that can do that I thank you for doing your job only you will have failed at the easiest task which is to ROB.

It can not be easy to do family law and we the divorced do need you but do better please .

The lawyer my partner had during his separation was fantastic. He only met with him a couple times, his legal bills were under $2000 for the whole SA... People need to stop blaming the lawyers and start looking at themselves and their own situation. If you are not willing to compromise or have a difficult ex, expect your legal bills to be high.

In my partners situation, he basically walked away with nothing. Signed over the house to her, he has no debt, she had a credit card in her name, they both kept their rrsp and went their separate ways. It could have cost a lot more if either of them didn't want to disclose financials or he wanted to argue over the $2000 equity in the house.

Comment

Well even a fifteen year old could have worked that case. I would have let her spend 10 grand show up in court and clamed cost without working up a sweat.

Comment

Every lawyer I have dealt with personally has done the best they can given the circumstances.

You can't always get what you want.

Rolling Stones?

Comment

Thing is, if you are paying high lawyer bills, it is because you are not controlling your lawyer. Its like a mechanic. If you take your vehicle to the shop and don't tell the mechanic what you want done, expect them to tweek every little bolt and charge you.

Comment

I agree. You need to tell your lawyer exactly what you want from him/her. Get to the point and be very clear about your requirements and expectations. But be realistic. Remember your lawyer can only act for you within the constraints of the law.

Remember, time is money. Time is a lawyer's stock in trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
              To be a great lawyer . Lie , Cheat , Deceive , Cause pain and anguish , Mislead , Distract and of course Rob. I could go on
              Perhaps you are a tad upset with your ex's lawyer?

There are plenty of sleazy lawyers around that might fit your description but I think the lawyer that I feel most comfortable giving money to is someone who can present themselves in court with intelligence and dignity. The lawyer you hire to represent you should be well prepared and extremely courteous to the judge and other lawyer.

If your lawyer makes a statement that his untrue then you are essentially lying as your lawyer is your advocate in the courtroom. If your lawyer has misrepresented the facts as you know them to be, it is important that you tell your lawyer immediately. As an officer of the court he has an obligation to recant his statement.

If you do nothing then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                Thing is, if you are paying high lawyer bills, it is because you are not controlling your lawyer. Its like a mechanic. If you take your vehicle to the shop and don't tell the mechanic what you want done, expect them to tweek every little bolt and charge you.
                AMEN,,,, the problem in the Family Law systen is not the lawyers, it is the people using the lawyers that abuse and lie and cheat.

Comment

Franklin, do not blame yourself if your lawyer has given you bad service. There are ways you can deal with that in reporting him, but I don't have knowledge of this..others can give you advice on this matter. If you were simply naive and racked up the bills, best to move on and chalk it up to experience. No-one willingly exposes themselves to paying obscene sums for bad service. Unless one is insane, which of course you are not. You sound like a very intelligent person.

All and all, just one of the bad experiences to have in divorce. You move on.

Comment

So I had to rant about the system and I blamed the lawyers. The reason for this blame lies on the fact that that most of the slimy attacks in the briefs are read only by the ones who it hurts. There all the same punishing accusations without evidence, please excuse me for the people with evidence.
                    lawyers know this yet still help to draft these ridiculous claims and accusations .
                    I self Rept after my answer to Application General, which was prepared by a lawyer . I was very successful in my efforts. Worst thing I learned was how simple it all can be. One response that hit home from momforever/ was it is the people who abuse the system, but the lawyers and Judges know this. There has to be better way.
                    I want to go back to some is at fault divorce. this no consequences nonsense just punished me for having a family and working my tail off to provide the very best for them. Oh well.

Comment

I meant some one is at fault divorce

Comment

I have to agree with Franklin here a bit. As somebody who has gone through the system for a number of years now, it blows me away on some of the false statements that come from my ex and her lawyer. Most of them which are knowingly factually incorrect and can be proven, and tehre is little to no consquense. In my mind, this is an abuse of the system and it should not be tollerated.

I agree that ultimatly, it is the client who needs to work with the lawyer, but when they seem to work like this, it is difficult to defend against.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
                          I it blows me away on some of the false statements that come from my ex and her lawyer. Most of them which are knowingly factually incorrect and can be proven, and tehre is little to no consquense. In my mind, this is an abuse of the system and it should not be tollerated.
                          Your ex's lawyer puts to paper what your ex instructs them to. The lawyer will likely know they are untrue, but without KNOWING they are untrue, they are obligated to prepare documents based on their clients instructions.

A lawyer cannot KNOWINGLY prepare and file false statements. While they may not believe their client, it doesn't negate that fact that the client is the client and the lawyer takes orders from them without hard evidence to prevent them.

Having worked in law firms for 14 years I can tell you, that most lawyers aren't there to create battles or suck blood. They are there to be an advocate for their client and will not recommend to their client anything less than they think is in their clients best interests/favour. If you are having issues with the other sides lawyer, it is likely due to their client.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                            Your ex's lawyer puts to paper what your ex instructs them to. The lawyer will likely know they are untrue, but without KNOWING they are untrue, they are obligated to prepare documents based on their clients instructions.

A lawyer cannot KNOWINGLY prepare and file false statements. While they may not believe their client, it doesn't negate that fact that the client is the client and the lawyer takes orders from them without hard evidence to prevent them.

Having worked in law firms for 14 years I can tell you, that most lawyers aren't there to create battles or suck blood. They are there to be an advocate for their client and will not recommend to their client anything less than they think is in their clients best interests/favour. If you are having issues with the other sides lawyer, it is likely due to their client.
                            OK, I get the point and can understand that, but I am going to describe a situation that recently happened to me and see if this crosses the line.
                            <O</O
                            I was recently brought to court over retroactive child support and various other items. It went through the entire process and I was largely successful (consent + 100% success on ALL the motion items). In the costs submissions, I had to provide my last "Offer to Settle" in my costs submission as my lawyer advised me that the first one is superseded by the last one.
                            <O
                            The opposing counsel proceeds to make statements that there was never any offer sent until very late in the process and that I should be paying costs and that I was the person who dragged it out. The fact of the matter is that I made an offer that was exactly the same as the judgement in less than a week of being served and before retaining counsel myself. I served her lawyer directly, so the lawyer in fact KNEW there was an offer but proceeded to lie about it. There were numerous other facts, which are supported by evidence that the lawyer knew, but also falsified.
                            <O
                            I get it that some lawyers can state that they are directed by their client, but in many cases, the lawyers have the evidence and continue to falsify information. That is at least my experience. I hope I am in the minority, but I am cynical that I am not.

Comment

Yes that would be one effective tactic to wear you down with also I think that is also the most successful strategy for the side trying to collect, as anything to break you is the point. The rules are all in place so what kind of skills can be left to use. Lie, Cheat, Steal, and Rob, all without consequences for either the firms or the clients.
                              In my case I was constantly accused of withholding disclosure. What a joke, I photo copied everything, meaning my business book keeping. There was like 1000 pieces of paper, it would have taken weeks to go through. Is that my fault. They didn't care about the books , it was just a strategy. If I didn't do it they had me, if I did it they had me. Just trying to mislead the Judges. Buisiness as usual. Next batter.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X