No announcement yet.

Self-represented at trial coming up in January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way OP. I am presenting the counter arguments to assist in your preparation for trial. Trials are NOT fun. Math people do well in trials to warn you. If they have a very good lawyer who knows you are emotional thinker/reasoner. They will play on that and throw quips at you.

Again, I urge you, no beg you, to hire a lawyer whom is respected and known to be a positive advocate. Someone who will listen to your "facts" but, challenge them and help you put forward a proper case.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Again, I urge you, no beg you, to hire a lawyer whom is respected and known to be a positive advocate. Someone who will listen to your "facts" but, challenge them and help you put forward a proper case.
      Thoroughly agree. You need a lawyer at least at a consult level because you need the DivorceMate calculations for SS. His 30k assumption for full-time minimum wage is close to accurate but the amount he offered you for SS is extremely low....its less than half of the normal mid-range calc for SS based on your salary ranges. The amount he's offered would be ok if you weren't paying full-table CS but it sounds like you are going to have to do that.

Frankly, I'm completely baffled by your write-off of more custody/access. That's the first thing I would do...particularly if you stayed at home with the kids. Financially, if you had more custody/access it would put him in a position of paying you offset and you'd be able to actually be with your children. Why aren't you aggressively pursuing this?

I would have immediately hired a laywer to get more access and a fair SS amount for a termed time so you could get on your feet and you could have arranged a payment plan.

I find your story a bit bizarre to tell you the truth but given what you've provided, his offer is not fair.
      Last edited by Pursuinghappiness; 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

What is covered in your kitchen table separation agreement?

As always, excellent analysis by Tayken.

It wasn't clear how many children you had. I have been assuming two since you use plural language.

PH is right, the SS amount is low if you are expected to pay it back in CS.

On the other hand, if it's net $550 in your pocket and you don't pay additional CS then the offer is even better.

Comment

I used to hate hearing "hire a lawyer" as I really could not afford it. I had one initially however it quickly ate up any savings I had. So, I hate to say this to you but it seems to me that you need a lawyer. Trials are not usually scheduled overnight so Im kind of lost as to why you have left all of your questions until now. My trial was supposed to be a couple of weeks ago but then was adjourned for a few months. I can tell you though that all of my ducks were in order. It takes a long time to prepare your evidence/exhibits, etc. The questions that you have asked clearly shows you are no where near prepared. If he has offered you a decent offer to settle, take it. Divorce is not going to be fair and I highly doubt that a trial would be fair either.

Everything that you have mentioned here, is irrelevant, as others have pointed out. You can not go to trial and ramble about how your family has disowned you and your lucrative career. Honestly, you sound like a hot mess. I think your first mistake was leaving the matrimonial home and your children. Atleast for me it would have been a mistake.

My suggestion to you at this point would be to stop the sob story, forget about your "lucrative" career and start studying and get your necessary documents in order. Get 50/50 with your children...if you want it. However, you can't force someone to be a parent. Go back to school. Good luck!

Comment

This has been hard to digest!

So I think you are mashing up a bunch of issues all together, which is going to do nothing more than confuse a judge. You also seem to be placing far more importance on money/your business and how you have been treated than on your children and parenting. Is that really your priority?

Count me with the others who say that you really do need the help of a proper lawyer.

Your issues appear to be:

1) You do not have 50-50 custody of your children, even though that's what was agreed to when you left the matrimonial home. Your ex appears to have manipulated you into EoW.

2) You have a minimum wage job with poor hours for parenting. You really need to ask for different hours, find a new job, anything to make you more available to your children.

3) Your ex is offering minimal spousal support. Ask for a higher amount, but keep to the same 5 years. Five years is plenty of time to go to school and train for a career and find employment. Or to get a business off the ground.

4) You are alienated from your family. It appears to have to do with the marriage breakdown so I'm going to guess that they are traditional/cultural/religious and disapprove of cheating/divorce or whatever it was that happened. They have chosen your children and ex over you. There is little you can do about that except to try to stay in touch and hope they get over it. Meanwhile, you have to seek out friends and community resources for your support. Counselling may help you focus too.

5) You have some sort of bad homemade separation agreement that isn't even being adhered to properly anymore. But it appears to be the reason you moved out of the matrimonial home. That set you up for all the trouble that has come to pass since. Any way you can move back in?

6) Your ex sabotaged your business start-up. Do you have proof of this? Emails asking for access to your equipment, the return of your van, phone, etc? Unless you do, the only thing you can do is list all this stuff for the equalization.

There are a number of ways you can proceed, but you need to tackle these issues one at a time instead of trying to lump them all together, mix and match, and hope that a judge will magically sort it all out for you.

My suggestions for one approach would be to look into undue hardship. In your case, having CS flow from the minimum wage household to the six-figure household is kind of ridiculous. Your ex has trapped you in a vicious circle where you had to find a job with hours that make it nearly impossible for you to parent, which led to your ex getting majority access which made the CS obligation yours. You need to break out of that.

Ask that the original 50-50 access with your children be enforced. You would be so much better off with 50-50 time, so that offset CS brought enough money into your household that you could afford to be an equal parent. Then you could afford to change your work schedule to accommodate your parenting time. Your children would also benefit from increased time with you, as there appears to be some alienation going on from both your ex and your own family.

Additionally, imputing an income of $30k to you is also ridiculous. I am guessing that was done on the anticipation that this is what your small business could make for you, which he then apparently ruined. Ask that your actual income be used for any calculations, as the business failed. This is a material change in circumstances from when your bad agreement was made.

Comment

I think some of this is a bit unrealistic.
              Originally posted by Rioe View Post
              1) You do not have 50-50 custody of your children, even though that's what was agreed to when you left the matrimonial home. Your ex appears to have manipulated you into EoW.
              The situation I read from the OP is that her working hours are 2pm - 10pm Monday to Friday, which does not enable her to care for school age children. What are they going to do, sit in a booth at Tim's until 10pm and then go home to bed? This is not an issue of manipulation by the ex, it is an issue of shift work. Unless and until she can change her shift to enable her to pick up her children after school and care for them in the evening, she will not be able to provide a 50/50 schedule that works.

2) You have a minimum wage job with poor hours for parenting. You really need to ask for different hours, find a new job, anything to make you more available to your children.
              Exactly.

5) You have some sort of bad homemade separation agreement that isn't even being adhered to properly anymore. But it appears to be the reason you moved out of the matrimonial home. That set you up for all the trouble that has come to pass since. Any way you can move back in?
              Sorry, I have to come out on the other side here. She moved out 1 1/2 years ago, and has had her own primary residence since then. She is no longer a resident at the other home. Her ex would have more than enough to get an order for exclusive possession if she tried to move back in. We regularly tell people in his position to just go ahead and change the locks.

If this had been 6 weeks and she'd been sleeping on a friend's couch, I would answer differently. It has been a year and a half; the marriage is over. The ex could have been dating someone for a year, gotten engaged, and be living with his new spouse by now. Perhaps even severing the divorce and remarrying. The amount of time passed is considerable and meaningful.

My suggestions for one approach would be to look into undue hardship. In your case, having CS flow from the minimum wage household to the six-figure household is kind of ridiculous. Your ex has trapped you in a vicious circle where you had to find a job with hours that make it nearly impossible for you to parent, which led to your ex getting majority access which made the CS obligation yours. You need to break out of that.
              How is this different from a father working shifts, being unable to share 50/50, and paying full support? Do minimum wage parents get excused from the child support tables? Do NCPs who earn less than CPs get excused from paying support? It's not that I don't have sympathy, but there is no legal argument here. There would be far too much case law for the other side to point to. One case I have saved is a father who is on ODSP, living in subsidized housing, being imputed $20k and required to pay CS. His ex, a nurse, earned $80k with full benefits at a hospital. And there is nothing wrong with that. (I saved it because the nurse was seeking to have his housing subsidy added to imputed wage, which made it an interesting precedent.)

If the OP wants to change the custody situation, she has to change her working hours. She isn't going to get that change through the courts. If she can't change her hours, then she is in the same situation as many NCPs. A better option than court would be to return to school, get a p/t job on campus, and have the evenings free to parent.

Ask that the original 50-50 access with your children be enforced.
              And the first thing the father will ask is, how can she care for the children when she is working until 10pm every evening?
              You would be so much better off with 50-50 time, so that offset CS brought enough money into your household that you could afford to be an equal parent.
              True, but the argument for 50/50 SHOULD NOT BE FINANCIAL. The argument has to be the best interest of the child, not the parent. The best interest of the child requires a parent be available to parent.
              Then you could afford to change your work schedule to accommodate your parenting time.
              This is backward. She has to be available to parent in order to ask for the change. This is especially true if you are suggesting the original agreement be "enforced." There are material reasons why it cannot be enforced.

If you are suggesting that she approach her ex and suggest that she quit her job, take the children 50/50, be imputed a wage and have setoff CS and SS be calculated based on that, this might be reasonable if there were genuine trust between them. But there isn't, and if the ex agreed to that, there would be no way to break that situation if she just stayed off work indefinately. So he wouldn't agree unless he could genuinely believe in her.

Additionally, imputing an income of $30k to you is also ridiculous. I am guessing that was done on the anticipation that this is what your small business could make for you, which he then apparently ruined. Ask that your actual income be used for any calculations, as the business failed. This is a material change in circumstances from when your bad agreement was made.
              I agree it appears ridiculous on the surface, but imputing a wage requires that reasons be given, and presumable there are supporting reasons for this.

Comment

Additionally, imputing an income of $30k to you is also ridiculous. I am guessing that was done on the anticipation that this is what your small business could make for you, which he then apparently ruined.
                The 30k is slightly high but not that far off from full-time minimum wage which is somewhere in the 24-25k range. Maybe he's assuming full-time minimum wage plus some business income. When I saw the OP's post, it struck me as a reasonable starting point for negotiation.

The SS amount is not reasonable however and this OP is a classic case of "you need a lawyer." She says she can't afford one but I say she can't afford NOT to have one at least on a consult basis for the DivorceMate calc.

If the OP wants to change the custody situation, she has to change her working hours. She isn't going to get that change through the courts. If she can't change her hours, then she is in the same situation as many NCPs. A better option than court would be to return to school, get a p/t job on campus, and have the evenings free to parent.
                I would agree. There's no doubt that one should do everything in their power to be self-sufficient and that some people have to work shift-work. But we're talking about a Tim Horton's job that has taken away this OP's ability to be a parent to her children. If it was a shift job that paid well, offered a secure retirement and was a long-term career, I would get it but there are other minimum wage jobs out there with hours that would enable this OP to exercise her joint custody rights and benefit from offset CS. This job ensures her demise not only with her parenting time but also screws her financially because by losing the parenting time, she puts herself into a full-table CS obligation. That makes zero sense to me.

I just see this whole story as a "how can I screw myself as much as possible?" scenario. Its hard to imagine how the OP could have put herself in to a worse position. Again, having a lawyer is a must for this poster before her position becomes unretractable.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                  The 30k is slightly high but not that far off from full-time minimum wage which is somewhere in the 24-25k range. Maybe he's assuming full-time minimum wage plus some business income. When I saw the OP's post, it struck me as a reasonable starting point for negotiation.
                  Minimum wage in Ontario is $10.25. Most employers at this level, Tim Horton's being a prime example, don't pay for the lunch and breaks that are required by the labour code, so an 8 hour shifts yields 7 hours of pay. It is very common in this economic class for full-time work to be 35 hours a week, again, Tim Horton's being a prime example.

10.25*35*52=18,655. This is the very common yearly salary for those earning minimum wage in Ontario.

I have read many decisions where a judge orders an imputation at $20k, which would be about a 40 hour work week at minimum wage.

You may think that this is "not far off" from $30k, or even $25k, but for people working at Tim's or other businesses that pay minimum wage, it is a lot of money.

I have several neighbours in this position, they are recent immigrants and parents, and I chat with them while our kids play in the park. One mother travels for 2 hours on the TTC to work in a factory stuffing envelopes. Of course she is looking for something better, but until something better comes, she is struggling. To me, tossing off numbers like that and saying they are not far off is dismissive and offensive. When someone is living like that, a few thousand means a huge difference.

As far as the OP goes, as I said earlier, an imputed wage requires reasons, so there may be more information we do not have. It is not clear if she is actually running her business; she claims she was denied access to her "equipment."

Comment

You may think that this is "not far off" from $30k, or even $25k, but for people working at Tim's or other businesses that pay minimum wage, it is a lot of money.
                    I'm not arguing that for someone that makes minimum wage, 5k is a lot of money. What I'm suggesting is that if he's also assuming business income added to a minimum wage salary, its not an unreasonable starting point for negotiation. Its far more reasonable than the amount he's suggesting in SS which is far, far off from the median table amount based on their income spread.

I think the issue with the OP is that she doesn't have a lawyer, so he's making extreme offers understanding that she's in a weakened negotiating position.

In addition, that she seems to be willing to roll over on the access/custody arrangement leads me to believe that he's dead-on in assuming she's not going to fight back much.

Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't try to impute a higher wage with the argument that she can work double-time or two jobs if she doesn't have the kids. This is an excellent textbook example of what happens when you don't have a lawyer or the ability to reason and negotiate in your best interest. The other party smells blood and goes for in for the kill.
                    Last edited by Pursuinghappiness; 12-03-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X