Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demand for financial information for $8.56 arrears!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demand for financial information for $8.56 arrears!!!

Ok so I just received a letter in the mail from support enforcement agency requesting that I fill out an enclosed statement of finances, which includes about 5 pages of info about me including my assets and all financial info. I am very upset as it states that I am owe arrears in the amount of $8.56!! And, this is the first time I've heard of it! I instantly went to online banking and paid this amount and then called the agency to report that I had paid it and did not even know that I owed it. They told me that they still require that I fill out the financial disclosure even though I owe them nothing!

Anyone been here before? I am just shaking my head here. I don't get why I still have to fill this stuff out.

GDGM

Oh my, $8.56, call 911!!!! Deadbeat DAD here!!!!

Oh for crying out loud, the time and expense to send those darn forms far out weighs the amount owed, are they kidding?

Did they give you any indication as to how long this has remained outstanding? Maybe that is why they want the financial disclosure, because of how long it has remained outstanding, nothing more. But to request this even though you own nothing now seems ridiculous! But you wouldn't want to cause yourself undue hardship by not doing it, I'd keep calling the court back until someone returns your call.

Comment

I received the same letter stating that I was in arrears and that I needed to provide all that financial info. I ignored it. I'm not in arrears and it'll have to be a judge that orders me to provide such info to the FRO. They are a big joke. A pathetic joke that costs all Ontario taxpayers money.

Comment

I am furious!

Further to my last post about my whopping $8.56 arrears, I am so furious! I contacted the director and told her that the amount was paid and explained to her that my lawyer told me that my child support payment was $2.14 less per month than what was submitted to the enforcement agency. Purely my lawyers fault! As a result of paying the $2.14 less for the past 4 months ( I completely didn't know!) and even though I have paid the outstanding arrears of $8.56, they still want me to fill out the statement of finances. I am absolutley livid!

This thing is 8 pages long and requires my drivers license and landlords name ( who I also work with, talk about humiliating), not to mention a tonne of other personal information about my employer and basically anything which is an invasion of my privacy. I was told that if I did NOT submit the requested forms I can be charged a fine of $3000 and/or serve time in jail for up to 90 days!! This is insane. This is what I get for being in arrears $8.56 cents yet my ex has been keeping my child and I apart for years and I can't even get a judge to enforce and court order against her. It's just plain sick.

GDGM

Comment

gdgm,

I echo what "dad of two" has mentioned. If it was me, I would ignore the form. If you have proof that you paid then ignore. I would certainly refuse the requested disclosure unless court ordered.

The FRO is notorious for using threats and tactics to get people to abide by their demands. They forget to mention that they would have to bring you to court first and find that you wilfully failed to abide. Mail gets lost everyday!

lv

Comment

Yep I agree with the others..ignore it, tear it up, burn it..whatever ya like!

Believe me it isn't worth getting upset about, they can't do anything about it, they are just trying to bully you into giving that information. If you do end up talking to them again I would just point out as there is no longer any arrears there is no longer a need to fill out any paperwork.

It is amazing to me that so many deadbeat parents run around with arrears in the tens of thousands of dollars, yet for a measly $8 they try to enforce collection...pathetic!

Comment

Just for the sake of principal...

gdgm,

Just for the sake of principal I would file a motion with the court to correct the
              I am so furious! I contacted the director and told her that the amount was paid and explained to her that my lawyer told me that my child support payment was $2.14 less per month than what was submitted to the enforcement agency. Purely my lawyers fault!
              amounts and request an immediate refund of the $8.56 overpayment an an official appology letter for their conduct.

We all know that you will never get it, but who knows, there just might be some media person get wind of a guy looking to get blood from a stone!

I agree with all others, you owe nothing, they have no grounds, forget it.

Good Luck

Duped

Comment

Totally

I agree with everyone else don't do it! The FRO has made mistake after mistake after mistake and once your tied in with them there a nightmare! They have complete control over your life pretty much if they get nasty. Don't disclose anything, your paid up continue to pay and keep bank statements proving you have paid them for any future issue's with them. They will even override a judges court order i have seen it again and again. The goverment has given the FRO so much control now and it's scary so beware!

Comment

Did you also know......

That every MP office in Ontario has had to designate someone from there office to solely deal with the FRO and issue's with them!

Comment

Thanks for the input. I haven't filled out the paperwork. It was due to be returned to their office today. I'm nervous about it because it stated that I can be charged and possibly fined and/or jailed if I don't comply. Still, I think I'll chance it. I don't owe any money to them and I feel a strong conviction that I won't allow these people to bully me. I just hope I don't end up in court over this!

Comment

Fyi

When I first left my ex, he too went into arrears, in excess of $30,000, and FRO advised me that they had sent out paper work for collection and the collection measures etc and they then proceeded to ask me to fill in as much info as I had.

I provided the FRO with all info I had on the ex, the only thing I left out was his shoe size, but the threats to have his licence revoked and possible jail time never fabricated, neither did the arrears.

I gave up the chase; sorry to say the kids are better off.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X