Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are books covered under grants/scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are books covered under grants/scholarships?

Hi,

I have a child in university. He received grants and a scholarship. After figuring out his contribution amount and mine and my ex's contributions, the amount of grant/scholarship money left over was actually more than that amount for tuition. Can this excess money be used towards books and its expected contribution?

For example (these numbers are close to actuals but used to make the math easier):

Tuition: $3000
    Student expected contribution - 33%: $1000
    Parents expected contribution - 67%: $2000
    Ontario Grant: $1000
    Canada Grant: $2000
    Scholarship: $1000

Student contribution minus grants/scholarship = $1000 - $4000 = -$3000
    Parent contribution minus Remaining grants/scholarship = $2000 - $3000 = $1000

There is a surplus of $1000 that hopefully can be put towards books and their expected contribution.

Thanks!

You calculate the numbers as total tuition, books and equipment (living expenses if they are away from school) then subtract the grants before figuring out the remaining split. The scholarship would come off kids’ portion of the expense.

I would double check those grants though. There are very few cases where a kid gets enough grants to cover all their costs. Even kids with a parent who has less than 30 grand a year in income still has less grants than their whole funding. It may be that the forms say Ontario and Canada portion of the loan amounts.

Comment

Thanks rockscan! The way I calculated the respective contributions and how to apply the grants was based off a method prescribed in a previous court order. I think the difference in what method I used and what you are stating is when the scholarship comes into play. I will look at how that affects the numbers. Regardless of the method, I believe you are saying that books should be included with tuition in regards to cost sharing and the application of grants.

Believe it or not, the OSAP grants are correct. I was a bit flabbergasted when I saw the numbers. The annual breakdown provided by OSAP was roughly $5000 in grants and $4000 in loans with a total release of funds of roughly $9000. OSAP even lets you know that the grants are what you keep and loans are what you repay.

Comment

My husbands original agreement said they subtract loans, grants, scholarships and awards first before calculating and his lawyer said no. The way I outlined it is how the courts would decide.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X