No announcement yet.

New to Seperation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For us it was for my protection. His kids were next of kin and I was concerned.

Plus I wanted to be his Mrs. [emoji3526]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
      absolutely agree. there is, however, a need for very detailed cohabitation agreements.

edit: wait. I just thought of something. Pensions- I would marry a future partner simply so they could receive my pension when I croak.
      You can deal with the pension stuff with an agreement. You don't have to be "married".

https://stepstojustice.ca/steps/fami...g-your-pension

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        You can deal with the pension stuff with an agreement. You don't have to be "married".

https://stepstojustice.ca/steps/fami...g-your-pension
        :0 .... that's awesome.

But I see rockscan's point- romance and all that jazz. I mean- you don't need to legally bind yourself through the government. But marriage- there's a quote from a movie I recently saw that made me think about this discussion- The F Word (kinda underrated- Zoe Kazan and Daniel Radcliffe- it's good)- anyways, one of the characters says, as she's talking about declaring love and all that jazz,

"What's the best case scenario? [...] Look, the one thing I like about getting married is that you get to stand up in front of everyone you care about and state, for the record, that you believe in the best-case scenario. It terrifies me, but that's why the outfits are so nice."

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
          ”What's the best case scenario? [...] Look, the one thing I like about getting married is that you get to stand up in front of everyone you care about and state, for the record, that you believe in the best-case scenario. It terrifies me, but that's why the outfits are so nice."
          HA! One of the things I told him was I wanted to stand in front of our friends and family and make a promise to him.

There are a few good legal reasons for getting married and for an older couple who have kids from their first marriages and build a certain life, sometimes the kids can take over against the newer spouse.

Comment

For better and for worse.

In sickness and health.

Blah blah blah blah.

Our own Catholic Priest recommended she leave IF she wasn't happy.

Unless there is adultery, documented abuse or something else serious going on Divorces should not be so easy?

Personality conflict or squabbling over money is NOT a reason for divorce....and IF it is....well then you were never really "in love" and had no business ever getting married in the first place!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 350 Mag View Post
              For better and for worse.

In sickness and health.

Blah blah blah blah.

Our own Catholic Priest recommended she leave IF she wasn't happy.

Unless there is adultery, documented abuse or something else serious going on Divorces should not be so easy?

Personality conflict or squabbling over money is NOT a reason for divorce....and IF it is....well then you were never really "in love" and had no business ever getting married in the first place!!!

Why would you want to be with someone who hasn’t loved you for a decade? You both stayed for the kids sure but she admitted she didn’t love you. If my husband said he didn’t love me anymore I would be packing my shit and moving on. I would rather be alone than miserable or around someone who is miserable. Or I might look at what is making that person miserable and work on it if possible. I really don’t get you. One of the first things you learn in therapy is you cant change someone else’s behaviour you can only change your reaction to it. Your reaction should be “pack your shit and get the fuck out of my life”.

My husbands ex married him to have kids. Plain and simple. It took him several years to realize she would never be happy but by then he stayed for the kids. She was emotionally abusive and destroyed his life. It took a major health issue for him to finally see the writing on the wall. He wasted so much time being miserable!

As much as this hurts—and yes, go through the grieving process—the bottom line is she wants out of a life you built. That says more about her than it does you. Cry it out and then get strong. You are better than her disdain for your relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                Why would you want to be with someone who hasn�t loved you for a decade? You both stayed for the kids sure but she admitted she didn�t love you. If my husband said he didn�t love me anymore I would be packing my shit and moving on. I would rather be alone than miserable or around someone who is miserable. Or I might look at what is making that person miserable and work on it if possible. I really don�t get you. One of the first things you learn in therapy is you cant change someone else�s behaviour you can only change your reaction to it. Your reaction should be �pack your shit and get the fuck out of my life�.

My husbands ex married him to have kids. Plain and simple. It took him several years to realize she would never be happy but by then he stayed for the kids. She was emotionally abusive and destroyed his life. It took a major health issue for him to finally see the writing on the wall. He wasted so much time being miserable!

As much as this hurts�and yes, go through the grieving process�the bottom line is she wants out of a life you built. That says more about her than it does you. Cry it out and then get strong. You are better than her disdain for your relationship.

Thanks for that....

Comment

Wife is moving out this weekend.

We are trying to keep communicating....but Its very hard....she can barely stand me around.

I am going to write her a letter before she leaves.

I will explain that I support her decision.

But I will also ask that she keep an open mind and heart.

Not begging her to change her mind.

Just saying that her feelings can change and some women do go back.

I know this is not the correct way of thinking as it might push her even farther away.

I am getting better and stronger each day.

Not falling apart....keeping up with friends and trying to look and be happy.

Our problems are not insurmountable.....as she thinks.

Time heals all wounds...and just maybe IF I give her space and time to think....make positive changes that she will see it's possible for her to find the love she once had.

We were so deeply in love for 15 +years. Just the grind of life and raising kids put strain on our marriage and I should have done more to express my love towards her.

I don't think love goes away....it's just overwhelmed by feelings of sadness, lonliness and bitterness.

Thanks for all the support.

I learned alot.

And it's not the end of the world....

Comment

This sounds really controlling. Like she doesn’t have her own mind and needs time to see the error of her ways. Let her go, don’t write the letter and get a therapist already.

Seriously, she wants out. LET HER GO. Like the saying goes “if you love something set it free”.

Comment

This is my experience. 7 years ago I received the 'I no longer love you' speech from my ex. We had wonderful beautiful kids together and had been together 13 years, just out of high school. It blew me away. I was devastated. I did not believe it. He lived in the house with me for the next year. I read numerous how to save your marriage books. I was still in love and could not understand what was happening. He waffled in and out of the house for the next year. While deciding if he wanted to remain in the marriage. I tried to play the perfect wife, work out, look nice, try to have fun together and remain busy. I was staying with my ex while he 'tried to decide' if he wished to stay in the marriage. It was Excruciatingly painful to say the least.

Exactly one year later again on Valentine's he left me again, for real this time. The day he left was the worst day of my life. Like you I couldn't understand how someone you were married too and shared a life with could act in such a way and no longer care about the marriage. The weekend after he left he introduced our very young children to a woman 'friend' and her children. It was his coworker whom he'd been having an affair with.

A year and a half later I met and started dating a wonderful man. He takes good care of me and cares about my feelings. He holds my hand when we are out and about and makes me feel loved in a way I never knew was possible! Every day he acts very silly just to see me laugh. It makes me wonder why I fought so hard to stay with a man who was very cold and unloving and never really cared about me or my feelings. I think that it took me being out of the marriage to realize that our marriage wasn't meant to be. To be with a man that didn't care about me or my feelings was so painful.. I feel very happy and fulfilled now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinist View Post
                        This is my experience. 7 years ago I received the 'I no longer love you' speech from my ex. We had wonderful beautiful kids together and had been together 13 years, just out of high school. It blew me away. I was devastated. I did not believe it. He lived in the house with me for the next year. I read numerous how to save your marriage books. I was still in love and could not understand what was happening. He waffled in and out of the house for the next year. While deciding if he wanted to remain in the marriage. I tried to play the perfect wife, work out, look nice, try to have fun together and remain busy. I was staying with my ex while he 'tried to decide' if he wished to stay in the marriage. It was Excruciatingly painful to say the least.

Exactly one year later again on Valentine's he left me again, for real this time. The day he left was the worst day of my life. Like you I couldn't understand how someone you were married too and shared a life with could act in such a way and no longer care about the marriage. The weekend after he left he introduced our very young children to a woman 'friend' and her children. It was his coworker whom he'd been having an affair with.

A year and a half later I met and started dating a wonderful man. He takes good care of me and cares about my feelings. He holds my hand when we are out and about and makes me feel loved in a way I never knew was possible! Every day he acts very silly just to see me laugh. It makes me wonder why I fought so hard to stay with a man who was very cold and unloving and never really cared about me or my feelings. I think that it took me being out of the marriage to realize that our marriage wasn't meant to be. To be with a man that didn't care about me or my feelings was so painful.. I feel very happy and fulfilled now.
                        It's a roller coaster for sure ....

It is the worst feeling in the world to lose the one you still love.

I am NOT sure Love ever lasts past the "gaga" phase(the first 3 years)....after that you start to discover exactly who your married too.

In my wife's case, she went in with blinders on....and after a few years of marriage I think she wanted out.

But she thought, maybe if we have kids it will improve our marriage.

It's what happens when different personalities marry....opposites attract but they shouldn't marry.

I still love her.

She still has feelings for me, I know....but they have become covered over by pain and bitterness.

Not sure IF time away will help but I can only hope.

Instead of being retired in 8 years....I am now facing working alot later.

She even thinks her mom should have divorced her dad....because she thinks he treats her like a doormat.

My wife is a very kind, loving , nuturing woman.

She is beautiful on the inside and the outside.

But she doesn't really like me anymore....so I don't get ANY of the that anymore....just contempt.

It's very hard....BUT I am going to let her go, not going to pursue her....I will communicate BUT only about kids, or financial needs.

If she contacts me I will respond politely BUT I will never instigate a conversation.

Going to avoid her as much as possible to give her time to think.

Maybe 1 in 1000 chance she will miss me....but I think she will be with another guy ASAP just to gain "closure" with me....and probably to "hurt" me as well.

I will be glad to have her out of house....and I will have custody of both kids.

I think that will play well IF we go to court that she left before signing any documents....and left her kids behind.

I paid for the entire house....from downpayment, to all the mortgage payments, insurance, and taxes.

She never paid for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 350 Mag View Post
                          I paid for the entire house....from downpayment, to all the mortgage payments, insurance, and taxes.

She never paid for anything.
                          Remember when you quit your job to take care of the children?

No, you don't, because you didn't.

Your spouse paid for half the house. You paid for it by working outside of the home, she paid for it by working inside of the home.

If you didn't like that arrangement, why did you agree to it for twenty years? It's a little late in the game to be complaining about it now.

Comment

Remember when you quit your job to take care of the children?

No, you don't, because you didn't.

Your spouse paid for half the house. You paid for it by working outside of the home, she paid for it by working inside of the home.

If you didn't like that arrangement, why did you agree to it for twenty years? It's a little late in the game to be complaining about it now.
                            *Drops mic* Boom.

Comment

A lot of what you said makes me believe you had treated her like a doormat for years and she grew to resent you. But hey its ok because you loved her. Except it doesn’t sound like you did. Your posts are full of complete disregard for her feelings. That she couldn’t possibly have been unhappy since you had a great life etc.

The comment about paying for everything was the kicker. She raised your kids and took care of your home. She gave up her life for you. Maybe one day you will realize that and stop making it all about you.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                                A lot of what you said makes me believe you had treated her like a doormat for years and she grew to resent you. But hey its ok because you loved her. Except it doesn�t sound like you did. Your posts are full of complete disregard for her feelings. That she couldn�t possibly have been unhappy since you had a great life etc.

The comment about paying for everything was the kicker. She raised your kids and took care of your home. She gave up her life for you. Maybe one day you will realize that and stop making it all about you.

She quit her job against my wishes.

We had a nice home before we moved.

After we moved we were down to one salary

She constantly complained our new home wasn't nice enough, we didn't have enough savings, nor did we have any rental properties like her sister

She had a bunch of unrealistic expectations of what we could accomplish on 1 salary vs 2.
                                You guys have pretty much answered my questions...= I am going to get screwed over for the rest of my life....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X