Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the dentist jokes begin....

Hi there folks

I’m interested in your recommendations for a law firm that could be a good fit for my situation. Feel free to direct message me if that’s your preference.

I am in Toronto - my spouse and I have no children and no fixed assets, other than a couple of cars, so "simple" divorce case from that perspective. Here's where the twists are though :-) My spouse is a dentist with a professional corporation. Most of our joint assets are inside the corporation (liquid investments).

My spouse would benefit greatly (tax deferral) by leaving all money in the professional corporation (including the half I am owed on divorce). One of the things we are considering for our separation agreement (to settle property division and lump sum spousal support for me) is leaving all the money inside the corporation in exchange for my PD/SS being paid to me after my spouse receives a large personal cash payment (not to corporation) in next 12-18 months if not sooner. Obviously I would get a larger payout for waiting than if I forced withdrawal of half the corporation assets right away.

I know there are lots of tax issues here. I have a good accountant (I think we’ll see I guess lol). Obviously we want everything to be up and up re: CRA. My question for you folks is: can you recommend a Toronto (or Ontario) law firm who you think might be a good fit for me? Seems like I need a firm with not just family law but also tax law knowledge, how to safeguard me to ensure I get paid out, etc. In this age of Covid it may not need to be a Toronto firm specifically, as I expect most of this will be via phone in the next 6 months or so.

I am probably looking for a mid-sized firm (not a one-person/three-person operation) that has good skills but does not play the typical “big law firm games” of billing for paper clips, padding their billings, etc.

Thank you!

Family lawyer here (2 man firm, smaller than your stated preference).

I might suggest you explore the Collaborative Law approach if you and your husband are on (relatively) good terms. You can retain a joint expert for financial purposes and figure out the best way to keep money in your pockets (and not the CRA).

https://collaborativepracticetoronto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
      Family lawyer here (2 man firm, smaller than your stated preference).

I might suggest you explore the Collaborative Law approach if you and your husband are on (relatively) good terms. You can retain a joint expert for financial purposes and figure out the best way to keep money in your pockets (and not the CRA).

https://collaborativepracticetoronto.com/
      How do you know the poster is the wife?

Comment

You're absolutely correct, I presumed the gender roles as being traditional. I have no knowledge as to who is the wife/husband (or if it is a male/female relationship).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X