Expenses, support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expenses, support?

Are the expenses you put down used for calculating support or is it just based solely on income? My wife retired at 51, has a pension and I am on a disability pension, but only until 65, mine private as well as cpp. The private disability will be taxed up so I will make double. How are these expenses looked at and do I need to keep them up there and what's the best way of budgeting this.

Thx.

Support is based on income and eligibility requirements, nothing to do with expenses.

Comment

So when you put down your expenses and you have to keep receipts, when will this come into play, going to court?

Thx.

Comment

Not sure that's correct - judge's discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
          Not sure that's correct - judge's discretion.
          Exactly...there is a reason they have those "expenses" fields, to give a picture of what is going on at both households i.e. helping the Judge to make a decision.

There are numerous cases on CanLii where Judges have reviewed the expenses and made comments about the spendings

Comment

Support is not decided based on expenses, else one party could simply increase or incur expenses to increase the 'need' for support. If one party is paying all the bills and the other is spending all their money on toys and luxuries and claiming a need for support of their retail therapy that is entirely different. Generally, it is determined on income, not expenses. The purpose of support is to balance the lifestyles in each home to a similar standard, not to get your optional expenses paid.

Comment

SS depends on need and ability to pay. So expenses are relevant.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X