Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can emails be used as evidence in court? without prejudice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can emails be used as evidence in court? without prejudice?

I just received my STBX husband's response to my claims and his document is filled with lies. Some of the facts can be easily disputed directly by his emails which were sent to me by him. One example was threatening bankruptcy if I pushed too much for spousal. That particular email has in the subject line "without prejudice". Not all of his emails said that but some do. Can emails be used as evidence in court? with or without "without prejudice".
    Last edited by googs; 08-13-2009, 06:58 AM. Reason: offended other member with my comment about my STBX thinking he was a lawyer but he is in contruction

just because he is in construction doesn't mean that he knows nothing. There are lots of people on this site who are not lawyers but have self represented themselves with varying degrees of success.

I will leave it up to the people with more experience to answer the question about the emails

Comment

I removed my last comment of my posting regarding my STBX thinking of himself as a lawyer. I didn't mean to offend anyone, just my STBX.

Comment

no problem, I just thought I would point out the experience of the other members who self represent

Comment

Thanks for the private response. I wasn't able to respond back to you as the site informs me your inbox is full.

Comment

Legal Definition of Without Prejudice
            http://www.williamsandcompany.ca/doc...prejdueice.pdf

I'm not a legal expert nor do I play one on TV. But an interesting concept. I would not think that his e-mail where he threatens bankruptcy would be seen to be "negotiations" and as such may not be covered under the premise of "without prejudice".

Comment

The tricky part is that the rest of his email is an offer, but then added "Remember, I have no problem declaring bankruptcy...so let's not push too much...

I would really like to get things sorted out soon...as I am sure that you are too...

Please think carefully about this...review with whomever you wish...but that is about the max. that I can do...or will do..."

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X