Judges powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judges powers

I understand a Judge does not have the legal authority to make an order at a case or trial management conference . Now can a judge change an existing order because it is already one ???. If me or she is not in agreement to sighn for a judge to endorse then we go back into case conferences again and the judge would have to wait for trial until having the power to make a decision and cast an order regardless of either parties preferences. ???

I can only comment on what happened at my case conference. Both parties agreed and the judge go his pen out and wrote the order.

I don't know the rules..but if both parties agree I guess it can happen.

Comment

In my case, three different judges ordered that the case has to go to Trial. However Judge at TMC ordered that next step is Settlement Conference. I cannot settle because opposing side does not provide honest Fin. Statement. I see that such order brings unnecessary delay and financial hardship for me. Very sad that the Judge is well informed about my fin. situation. I am sorry to tell but this order in interest of opposing side.

Comment

So did you agree and sine at the Judges guidance . If you refused to sine what would have happened next, like you mentioned, another whatever conference and then what?

Comment

TO: Franklin
          I have no choice and I have to follow the judge's endorsement:
          1. proceed with mediation;
          2. if mediation is not successful, next step is SC for half-day
          - for SC I have to prepare SC brief, offer to settle and Document Brief;
          - I have to retain a counsel.
          These directions are in Judge's endorsement.

The SC will be with the same Judge because he is a Case Management Judge. It seems that half-day SC is needed in order to press me hard. Also it takes longer to get a half-day in the Court. Time brings me financial hardship.

I will prepare all docs but will not retain a lawyer because I had bad experience with them and I do not have funds to pay them. Moreover the Family Law Rules allow me be self represented. If the Judge will state that I breach his order regarding retaining the counsel and Judge will put me in Contempt, no doubt I will proceed with appeal.

P.S. That Judge is very clever. Do not forget he was a lawyer too. During 2 TMCs he starts from opposing party and do not allow me to tell what I want to tell. It is a game. Otherwise my words are going be in transcript. He just covers his ...

This reality show is called Ontario Family Justice!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X