This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do I wait for an order?

Hi, I had a motion last summer where I spent about $15K. We won most of our claims so we submitted the document for the cost order as advised by the judge. However, we did not hear anything from this judge for 4 months. My lawyer kept saying we could not do anything but waiting. My lawyers finally had a chance to talk to her in person. The judge G said she remembered and she would give us her answer shortly to my lawyer. We again waited and it was forgotten for another 3 months. I had my lawyer e-mailed to the judge, then she asked my lawyer to resubmit the cost documents which she did right away. She also notified us that she would be giving an order within a week....we were all excited...but another 2 months passed by.

I just can not believe how long we have to wait for the order...it's been 9 months. Can the judge delay the order as long as she wants? Does anyone have any similar experience at 393 University Ave. ? I suggested my lawyer to file a complaint to Ontario Judicial Council, but she does not thinks it's a good idea. I would like to know if there is anything I can do.

get your lawyer to do some work for you - check with the judge's clerk

I'd be looking for another lawyer 8 months ago

Comment

It took me FOUR months to get the court order and NINE months to get the cost order in the end!!! I believe something is wrong at 393 University Ave....it's all mess there. I fired my lawyer too. The family court system is a total joke and draining billions of dollars of unfortunate divorcing couple and leading them to craziness. I wish revenue canada takes over family court system and deal all cases as we they do taxes. Why does is have to be so complicated, time consuming and expensive?

Comment

It's expensive because those bottom-feeders are involved. In Alberta the Maintenance Enforcement part of Alberta Justice has it set up that you don't need to go year after year to a lawyer to re-calculate child support. MEP does it. I only wish they did it for spousal support. If I were to do it again I would not use a lawyer so much. I see that self-represented people are given more time to address a judge than those of us with lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          It's expensive because those bottom-feeders are involved. In Alberta the Maintenance Enforcement part of Alberta Justice has it set up that you don't need to go year after year to a lawyer to re-calculate child support. MEP does it. I only wish they did it for spousal support. If I were to do it again I would not use a lawyer so much. I see that self-represented people are given more time to address a judge than those of us with lawyers.
          Nice. I wish FRO does it. My ex is a teacher but the child support has not been updated for past 2 years since he keeps refusing it. I wonder how many of us could afford to bring a motion to re-calculate child support every year. We need a similar sector which simplifies the court process.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X