This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real estate commissions - matrimonial home

We are in the middle of drawing up our SA. My STBX is buying me out of the house and has argued that she wants to keep 2.5% real estate commissions held in trust for one year in case she has to sell the house. After the one year, if she does not sell, the money will be released to me.

Of course I will not be able to take advantage if the house sells for more than the appraisal but at the same time I am not liable to lose any of the buyout
    if it sells for less.

Is this normal?

to me once the house is sold that should be it, you should have no more obligations to the house. If she wants to buy you out and then has to sell down the road then that is her issue, she should not make you suffer. If she needs to sell in the future then she can pay her own real estate fees then.

Comment

You could sell the house now. You are both saving the commissions by you selling privately to her. So the current balance between you would be zero.

If she sells the house next year, either a) you get any additional funds from the sale if it sells for higher value or b) you don't pay the commission, you have nothing to do with it.

What she is asking you to do is remain invested in the house, which is just a stupid complication. Get out of bed with her and stay out. The whole point of a settlement agreement is to SETTLE and not have endless outstanding issues that keep you from getting on with your life.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X