Pay check deductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay check deductions

My gross income per month is $8000 but I have $700 in deductions.
    $400 is for life insurance that pays out to the children
    $200 is for health insurance of which the ex is still under.
    There are union dues too and other things.

If health insurance finds out ex is an ex then she is booted from health insurance. She is going to live with someone else soon.

My net income per month is say $5000
    the ex wants $2800 per month in child support and spousal support and I am left $2200. That does not sound fair.

What items are a factor here?

Do you have agreement on spousal? Is she entitled to it? Thats one thing down.

CS is ordered regardless.

Can you get a cheaper life insurance policy somewhere else? The weekly amount you state is excessive.

Take her off your benefits. She’s not your spouse any longer. Maybe that will reduce as well.

Unfortunately its the gross income that is considered so you need to find savings. Talk to your benefits people and call an insurance company.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      D
      Take her off your benefits. She’s not your spouse any longer. Maybe that will reduce as well.
      this.

I took my ex off my healthcare after we were separated. My previous lawyer told me "Oh no- don't do that- judges don't like that kind of stuff, etc etc etc".

I got the policy which CLEARLY states that once you are no longer living with someone in a marriage or commonlaw relationship- they don't get coverage.

I highlighted the portions of the policy- sent it to my lawyer and his. I also noted that he had coverage from his own job, but had opted to reduce it because he used mine.

So- if you can assert she has coverage- and doesn't need yours- AND you can get a copy of your policy and the section that says you are required to take her off- take her off.

Comment

Can you get a cheaper life insurance policy somewhere else? The weekly amount you state is excessive.
        It's not that excessive- I have the same type...whole life or permanent insurance. Pays out at the end.

But mine is not quite that much- I think it's just around $270/month.

OP- how many kids do you have?

Why is she seeking spousal? did she stay home? A lot of others here will have advice on spousal.

Comment

$8,000 a month is $96,000 gross yearly. CS at that income level would be just under $2,800 if you have SIX kids. Which, if you do, then ya, she needs the bigger piece of your paycheque. If the $2,800 you quote is for less kids but includes daycare so mom can work/go to school, then yes, it is justified.

- edit, I see spousal now, how much is she earning, did she stay at home with the kids? Maybe she is entitled, maybe not. I would calculate two kids and her not earning anything as $3,000 a month for CS and SS at the high range. There are too many variables for anyone to say definitely one way or the other.

Comment

My life insurance for two policies paying out $200,000 is $80 a month. My husbands two policies paying the same is $60 (hes had insurance longer than me). My employer has a life insurance policy that is part of my salary and pays $100,000.

Depending on the age of your kids and support obligations, life insurance shouldn’t be more than $400,000. You should shop around just to see what you could get for less.

Comment

Check your benefits coverage T&C's, and consider it wisely. Mine like iona6656, had a clause where she was no longer covered after 3 years of separation.

Depending on the other parties health and employment status, they could request you cover the cost of 3rd party coverage equivalent to what they had under your plan.

My lawyer explained for the couple bucks I paid thru my group insurance, it was cheaper to keep her on.

Do the amounts seem fair? Is what you are left with fair? No of course not, but if you are hoping for 'fair' in family law, you will wait a long time. Get a financial plan in place.

Like Rockscan mentioned look at getting better coverage.

Comment

I was actually thinking the same as "tilt" above, wondering how many kids are in the equation here, for child support. It must be a lot of kids, for the ex to think they should be getting $2800 a month in child support, given your stated gross income.

Spousal support is always a grey area. And again, "tilt" already touched on that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X