Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Child Tax Benefit and Child Support - how does one effect the other ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Child Tax Benefit and Child Support - how does one effect the other ?

Hi, I think the answer may be obvious, but I am just trying to confirm.

I am paying CS and SS. I assume that these amounts will determine what she can receive from CRA as far as CCTB (Canada Child Tax Benefit) and not the other way around.

Can someone please confirm ?

CS doesn't count as income and therefore has no effect. SS MIGHT, I don't recall offhand.

Anything that effects line 150 of her return will impact CCTB.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
      CS doesn't count as income and therefore has no effect. SS MIGHT, I don't recall offhand.

Anything that effects line 150 of her return will impact CCTB.
      Can anyone confirm that CCTB will not count as part of her income ?Seems obvious that it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
        Can anyone confirm that CCTB will not count as part of her income ?Seems obvious that it does not.
        It does not.

Comment

It does not. But we are just faceless people on the internet typing under made-up names.

Read the Family Law Act - Child Support Guidelines. It is all explained there. If some terminology confuses you, feel free to ask for clarification.

Comment

If child support doesn't count as income, then why does my accountant ask how much I received in child support every year?

I could swear it got added to my income last year!

Comment

Be careful that what you swear to is actually true.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPartner View Post
                If child support doesn't count as income, then why does my accountant ask how much I received in child support every year?

I could swear it got added to my income last year!
                It is required to be disclosed on your income taxes but it 100% does not go into any of the calculations. It's actually a little unclear on why it would be CRAs business since child support doesn't figure into either parties taxes.

So yes, your accountant needs this information. And no, it is not added to your income.

Spousal support is taxable income and would be counted in your income to determine eligibility and amount of CCTB.

Comment

It's actually a little unclear on why it would be CRAs business since child support doesn't figure into either parties taxes.
                  Child support payments have an impact on other government funds, for example welfare which is clawed back dollar for dollar.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X