This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ex filed a Motion to stop us from moving

I have a case conference at the start of next week and my ex just served me today with a 14B motion trying to stop me from moving into my son's school district, close to where she lives.

There is no restraining order and the reason she has listed w3e did not provide her with enough notice. She was served on a case brief on Monday that detailed our new address and our intension to move on May 15th, although we have our current apartment until the 30th.

According to everything I have seen, we have until 7 days after moving to advise the other party. Is that correct? Will the court stop us from moving because of a lack of notice?

She lives 800 meters from our new house.

Thanks in advance for your help.

With no restraining order I think she'll have a hard time preventing you from moving closer.

Comment

Unless there is a restraining order, or she can prove that you are a current threat (and thus obtain a RO) then she has no case to stop you. Even if there is an RO, the judge is unlikely to prevent you form moving close to your son. You have given adequate notice of your move.

FWIW, I know a woman who was seriously abused by her ex and moved across the country to get away. Guess where he lives now? On the street behind her.

Comment

Thank you so much for providing me with your experiences. Much appreciated!

Comment

I am amazed that she is trying to stop you from moving closer. Unless there is a valid legal reason why you have to keep away then she cannot stop you from doing anything.

Seems kind of funny (not suspicious or anything like that) all the posts that say the NCP is trying to stop the CP from moving farther away, I think this is the first time I have seen the CP trying to stop the NCP from moving closer.

Comment

I guess that is part of the problem. She is not the CP, we currently have joint/share custody and access one week on, one week off. She applied for sole custody after finding out I was involved with someone who had been a close family friend for years.

The only reason for the motion was that we only gave her 10 days notice (even though it was technically 12), even though she has known for months that we planned to move up to the area (and I have an email to prove it).

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
              Seems kind of funny (not suspicious or anything like that) all the posts that say the NCP is trying to stop the CP from moving farther away, I think this is the first time I have seen the CP trying to stop the NCP from moving closer.
              No kidding! Sounds fishy to me.

Comment

The case conference is on Friday, I will keep you all posted.

Comment

She can't stop you from moving. You are free to move anywhere you like.

What she can do is stop you from moving the child's residence. But it would be beyond absurd to stop you from moving the child's (alternate) residence closer to her residence.

She also can't stop you from moving the child further away, unless she shows a reason. She can't arbitrarily say no (unless this is written in a previous order?) If it was in a previous order, there must be limitations to the order, ie the order can't stop you from moving across the street to a larger house for example. The intent of these orders maintain access for the parent without unreasonable amount of travel.

The situation you are describing at face value is insane. Which doesn't mean she isn't crazy of course. She can file an application for just about anything, that doesn't mean she has a snowball's chance.

Comment

To answer your questions Mess, there has never been a court order. When we separated in 2008, we had been on good terms and didn't put anything in writing or go to court.

I really hope the court feels as you do. Thanks everyone for making my day a little less stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharah View Post
                      To answer your questions Mess, there has never been a court order. When we separated in 2008, we had been on good terms and didn't put anything in writing or go to court.

I really hope the court feels as you do. Thanks everyone for making my day a little less stressful.
                      you have nothing to be stressed about. If you were the CP moving with the child father away from the NCP then you may have had a fight. As for moving closer there is nothing she can do about it. The judge will laugh her out of court.

Comment

Hi All,

Just wanted to provide you all with an update. The judge told my ex she didn't understand why she was bringing the motion to prohibit our move and my ex explained that she was not given enough notice and that in the future she should have a minimum of 30 days notice of our new address. As there is no case law requiring this, the Judge refused to require this from either of us, stating that she understood her feelings however it is not up to the court to determine what courtesy we do or do not give her. The Judge dismissed the motion.

Thank you for all your support.

Comment

glad to hear it worked out for you

Comment

Did you also get costs of the motion?

Comment

Be nice if they did...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X