Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justice Brownstone: Divorce law and the family (Mar. 03, 2009)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Brownstone: Divorce law and the family (Mar. 03, 2009)

So I was reading that interview which quite interested and inspiring before you understand that all what was said said 3 years ago and nothing changed yet.

Justice Brownstone: Divorce law and the family

But from another point of view 3 years is nothing for Law making...

so here something what may be interesting...

Bob Tweney from St. Catharines Canada writes: Does the judge look down on you when you represent yourself in a trial?

Justice Brownstone: Judges look down on NO ONE. We know that everyone coming before us in pain, and very upset and anxious. We do our best to make sure that justice is done, whether parents have lawyers or not. But we can only do so much. We can't go out and get evidence for you, and we can't give you legal advice. Remember: a person who represents him/herself has a fool for a client!!!!
    what did he mean saying that? I did not get it. May be it's some English language specific joke?

Fraser Simpson from Vaughan Canada writes: The main concept of 'For the sake of the children' was that parenting should be shared by default and that both parents should be equally involved. Changing language was only common sense. Why do judges continue to ignore this principle despite a $25-million task force that recommends shared parenting?

Justice Brownstone:Think about it: the kind of people we see are not candidates to share anything. The kind of parents who are mature enough to have joint custody or shared custody don't need to come to court and have a stranger tell them what's going to happen to their children. Courts only see the high conflict couples who can't even stand to be in the same room with each other. But I love the concept of shared/joint custody. That is certainly the goal we should all aspire to (even parents who live together), and I hope my book will inspire people to work towards it.
    Kind of confirm position of OCL - conflict=no joint custody (
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X