Transportation suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transportation suggestion

I am part of a couple who are blending our families together and as a result I will be moving out of the school zone for both of my children. I work, as does their step mother and so we are faced with transportation issue on my custody days.

We cannot be the first to find ourselves in this position and I am looking for suggestions.

Other than public transit - what other transportation solutions that people have come up with to deliver children home at the end of the day.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Query!

how far away are you moving?

what's the custody situation?

How old are the kids? Are they in the same school?

A friend of mine- her husband drives her stepdaughters an hour each way to school. The girls are on a week-about schedule. She says that can take a toll on the girls- they are elementary and middle school aged.

Why do you need to move?
    Last edited by iona6656; 05-21-2019, 02:23 PM.

Comment

you Are certainly correct, many people must collect their children from school, either distance or age or work:
      High school: public transportation
      Elementary school: send children tot he before and after school care program at the school and pick up after work or find a daycare agency or home day care provider who child can walk to or, day care provider will go to school to collect child and then you pick up after school, or you hire a babysitter to collect child and take to your home after school

Comment

Thank you, Denbigh - one of my children is middle school so there is no aftercare, and the bus system in Kanata... well.... there are annual sightings... I will look to family and friends and see if an arrangement can be made.

Comment

The best suggestion is to not move when such move would negatively impact the kids and your ability to get them to school.

Other than that, you will have to work something out on your end. The ex should not be negatively impacted by your decision to move. Hopefully it doesn't hinder the kids too much when it comes to their school activities.

Comment

Do you have shared custody or are you an every-other-weekend parent?

If you have shared custody, you need to ask yourself if you love this new woman more than your kids, because this move is quite likely to cost you your kids. Moving out of the school zone is pretty much the worst thing you can do. Any arrangements you make are almost irrelevant because once the kids get to high school they are not going to appreciate the long commute given that they can just live with the other parent. Buh bye shared custody. Welcome to the world of EOW. I don't live it, but from the posts I have read here, it is not very pleasant.

Alternatively, if you are already an EOW parent, then you don't have much to lose. You are already barely a parent, so it won't change much.

How is it actually done? Change work hours, bring kid early, pay somebody (either somebody close to school to drop off, or somebody close to you who is willing to drive). There are many options. The only thing they have in common is that most of them are pretty lousy for the you or the kid(s).

Comment

^see. I asked the same questions- and nothing...lol.

I always wonder- are these decisions I would make if I was still together with my ex? Would this be a good family decision?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X