X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for CCB

Hello All

So having my little boy every weekend since August 2011 pursuant to court order(s) (two temporary and one final) which make it roughly 40/60 time sharing (44/56 taking into account all exceptions and summer time) I finally applied for CCB.

Now I have to somehow to prove to CRA that I actually had him all that time!!!
    Just note: Not mom should prove that she had him and does not fraudulently receive CCB what she is not entitled for but I have to prove (once again like Family Court was not enough).

Here is what CRA wrote:

we have to verify that child lived with you and depended on you for support.

To help us carry out this review, please attach photocopies of at least three (3) documents that you believe will support your claim. Here are some examples of documents that you could use:

- a signed statement from the nursery or school authorities confirming the child's home address and the name of his or her guardian for the period the child lived with you;
    can not do it as little one were not in daycare and child's home address has nothing to do with where he actually stayed.

- a signed statement from a person in a position of authority (such as a doctor, lawyer, member of clergy or social worker)stating that he or she had personal knowledge that the child lived with you for the period you indicated;
    can not do it as I did not have lawyer on that time and there was not SW involved in that time.

- a registration form or receipt from an activity or club that the child was enrolled in for the period you indicated; or
    do not have any as he was not in any club.

- a complete and signed court order, decree or separation agreement. The document must detail the type of custody arrangement you have for the child (for example, joint custody) and accurately reflect the child's current living arrangements.
    I sent this one. Probably have to send it again.

and if it's not enought how about that

Please note, when a male and a female parent both live in the same home, the female parent is presumed to be the person primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the children.

If the male parent is the person who is primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the children, the female parent must inform us of this in writing.
    Talking about Human Rights...

Does anyone have real experience of how to deal with it? For now it looks like that only thing what I can to it's just write another letter (what I really hate to do) explaining situation in details probably including not only orders but reasons for judgment. May be somebody can provide some useful wording etc...

Thank you,
    WD

Simply give them the court order. It should be enough as long as it ensures you pass the 40% threshold.

If it puts you BELOW but you have additional time that would put you over, you need to prove it. Emails from the ex verifying you are taking the children on X day, or travel plans that were made.

All I needed was the court order, since it laid out the times very clearly. I did write and attach a letter to it indicating that all I had was the court order and there was no other requested documentation available.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
      Simply give them the court order. It should be enough as long as it ensures you pass the 40% threshold.

If it puts you BELOW but you have additional time that would put you over, you need to prove it. Emails from the ex verifying you are taking the children on X day, or travel plans that were made.

All I needed was the court order, since it laid out the times very clearly. I did write and attach a letter to it indicating that all I had was the court order and there was no other requested documentation available.
      Well
      That exactly what I did when I applied and than I received that letter...
      Or you think they did not read it and just use RC66 form and than automatically send such letter if someone already claiming the child?

Comment

It sounds like CRA enjoys giving parents a hard time.

I just keep it simple, they deposit the money to my account and I automatically give half to my X. We have 50/50 joint custody/parenting.

I suppose he could send in a letter with a copy of our separation agreement, but who knows when he's gonna get around to it, and I don't want to have to worry about going back later on for retro payments to him that I received.

I have been tracking by email, I send an email telling him I transferred the CCTB money (I am specific as to what money so there is no question about it) to him and I have the e-transfer notifications as well, just so I am covered in the long run.

I wish you luck

Angie

Comment

That's odd because I never applied for the cctb however they simply changed it to six months each, I would have preferred she kept the entire amount as the amount I get compared to her is significantly less. If they have a court order of 50/50 on file it appears they simply make it 6 months each.

Comment

Originally posted by AngieJ View Post

I just keep it simple, they deposit the money to my account and I automatically give half to my X. We have 50/50 joint custody/parenting.

I suppose he could send in a letter with a copy of our separation agreement, but who knows when he's gonna get around to it, and I don't want to have to worry about going back later on for retro payments to him that I received.

I have been tracking by email, I send an email telling him I transferred the CCTB money (I am specific as to what money so there is no question about it) to him and I have the e-transfer notifications as well, just so I am covered in the long run.

I wish you luck

Angie
            Even I applaud to you for your cooperation but I do not think you actually can do it technically(legally) speaking. Child benefits calculated base on family income as I know. So if lets say someone on Ontario Works would received ~400 a month of child benefit and another parent would be entitled just for lets say $50/month by claiming $400 and spiting it in half is not the same as suppose to be 6month*~400 and 6month*~50.

I would not do it even if $$$ wise that would be much better.

It's looking for troubles with CRA and that not what you want for sure )

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
              Even I applaud to you for your cooperation but I do not think you actually can do it technically(legally) speaking. Child benefits calculated base on family income as I know. So if lets say someone on Ontario Works would received ~400 a month of child benefit and another parent would be entitled just for lets say $50/month by claiming $400 and spiting it in half is not the same as suppose to be 6month*~400 and 6month*~50.

I would not do it even if $$$ wise that would be much better.

It's looking for troubles with CRA and that not what you want for sure )
              Not to mention, should things change he can file for it backdated and you'll be on the hook for overpayment, despite having given him half already.

Comment

Great, so basically what your telling me is that by being nice, and doing what I thought was the right thing cause he has the kids half the time, I AM SCREWING MYSELF........

Now what?

Comment

Ang-Do you have copies / paperwork trail from your giving half to your ex ?

Comment

May_May - I have email trails and bank transfer records to indicate exactly how much I transferred to him and what the money was from (specifically CCTB).

Ang

Comment

I wish you luck

Angie

Be careful. If your ex is ever difficult, and tries to apply, he can get backpay upto a year worth of CCTB for what he is supposed to get, and then you would owe money back to them if they ever find out

Comment

Great, so basically what your telling me is that by being nice, and doing what I thought was the right thing cause he has the kids half the time, I AM SCREWING MYSELF........

Now what?
                        Isn't it always like that ?
                        Anyway first thing what I would try to do is to read this
                        Benefit entitlements in cases of shared custody or may be even better this
                        Shared Custody

than try to calculate what it's should be if you do it properly. If you own money to CRA too bed - have to return it... CRA will recalculate it and most likely will cover with future payments over some period of time...

Good thing that looks like this new rule come to affect Since July 2011. You always can call and ask anonymously about how to proceed properly. Like just find out an bla bla bla...

Comment

May_May - I have email trails and bank transfer records to indicate exactly how much I transferred to him and what the money was from (specifically CCTB).

Ang
                          That is all you would need to provide to avoid the claw back but, the problem would be having to provide the information to CRA to demonstrate that should the situation happen.

The health care system, family law system and CRA need to be better integrated as a whole.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X