Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 PM

BitHunter is on a distinguished road

but it should be automatic, not by signing a prenup
Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

Topic - What changes to the laws do you think are necessary? -

These are some of the changes I would like to see.

Seriously, A & B get married, both work, A makes $30G/yr, B makes $200G/yr. Both contribute, but B contributes more, and A benefits from it.

Oops, divorce after 15 yrs, A automatically claims 1/2 of all assets, and 45% of NDI.

If it's going to be broken up like a business, then run the financial part of marriage like a business.

Plus they changes the rules on business assets somewhere in the middle of my marriage. Contracts don't usually have changes in the middle of them made by outside forces.

PS. of course, automatic, other spouse would just have to accept that not all things are equal, especially income.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

When you get married it is not a business decision, it's an emotional commitment "until death do you part". Do business decisions carry a vow until death do you part? No they do not.

If you want to turn it into a business decision, that option is available to you in the form of a marriage contract. It should NOT be the default due to the weight of the commitment being made by the parties at marriage.

If you want to treat this as a business decision, then you only have yourself to blame by not being business like before you get married. Or you damn well don't get married.

This crazy thinking continues to be all about your failure to foresee a marital breakdown and failing to act "businesslike" before you got married. It's your own f'n fault.

Take ownership of your fuck up.

Last edited by dadtotheend; 12-20-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

I gave my ex $40K in equalization for a house she didn't put a penny into. She pissed it away in legal fees fighting a losing battle, but in the process I had to go $ for $ with her to keep up the battle.

I also gave her $35K in support over 4 years.

When all was said and done, I spent $150K on my divorce. Probably $100K of that was spent because of the way the law works.

But you don't here me crying about that. I should have known the law before I married her. It's my fault. No one else's!!!!

Last edited by dadtotheend; 12-20-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Agreed. You had the option of not getting married; you had the option of not even living together and just dating. You had the option of holding out and waiting until you met someone nice who was already in your income bracket. If your ex wasn't earning enough, you had the option of separating long before you'd built up 15 years of assets.

I suppose there might be an argument that you should be required to get financial and legal advice before marrying.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 PM

Crying to you?

Are you the only one on this board?

Wealth transfer is my issue. Facing the very real propect of total ruin was a living hell.

I had no other parental, child, distance, court orders, police, custody issues at all. Only the threat of been completely broke and ruined while others lived my hard-earned lifestyle. Ya, that was a major issue for me.

You have yours, I suppose, and others have theirs.

I was lucky to escape with a certain amount of my income, and not due to any fairness in Family Law.

You can stop YELLING at me anytime now please.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:12 PM

It's your fault, not the law's fault.

You didn't do your due diligence. That was an incredibly stupid business decision for someone at your income level.

Why didn't you get a marriage contract? Hint:Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 AM

As I started to make a large income after I was ALREADY married (no silver spoon), it was kind of late to ask the wife about a pre-nup.

And, OMG, when I was married, I didn't (as most on here might agree) see myself as getting divorced.

And, go figure, when my wife asked for a divorce, she wasn't inclined to discuss a reasonable number.

So yes, it was my fault, at 18 yrs old making minimum wage, that I didn't see my future earnings as rivalling a hockey player, it was my fault that 10 ten years after I was married that I didn't consider that I would be wealthy. And it was my fault that my ex-wife would be greedy to the max.

Anyways, the question, once again, was what law needed changing in our opinion.

This law, because then, there would have been no such law to bite me on the behind.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggybanktoex View Post
And, OMG, when I was married, I didn't (as most on here might agree) see myself as getting divorced.
You want the the relationship treated like a business partnership? You didn't foresee that, in this society, chances were very high that that you would divorce. Not a good business decision.

You made a lifelong commitment to her when you married.

You should have required a marrriage contract when that job presented itself.

That law doesn't need to be changed.

Last edited by dadtotheend; 12-21-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

You need to watch a few episodes of "Being Erica". You realize if hadn't married her, your life would have changed, you wouldn't have gotten that job and you'd be flipping burgers in McD's and living in a trailer park, right?
Closed Thread