Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 AM

lumpy is on a distinguished road
Default Ex won't give her new address.

We have 50/50 custody. The ex works nights and leaves the children with her mom on her nights with the children. Her mother has recently moved and the ex refuses to give me her new adress. Is there any way that I can find out? Her reasoning is that "it is none of my business." I would like to have a phone number and adress for emergencies or just in case I have to get in touch with the children. There is no reason to keep their address secret (no history of violence or harrassment). I have picked the kids up in the past at her mother's house and always been on decent terms with them both. I would never keep her from knowing where her kids sleep 50% of the time... Any ideas?
thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 AM

InterprovincialParents is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to InterprovincialParents

She is required to provide to you the contact information for any caregivers. Without grounds of violence, or abuse, that is both a custodial right and a right of the access parent as it pertains to the health and well-being of your child. Write her a letter (or email) asking specifically for what you want. If she refuses, then your option is mediation/arbitration or court...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 PM

Thank you. I figured as much. Just don't want to go to court!
(:
Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Does anyone know of any alternatives to going to mediation/arbitration to get this information? If we could find any sort of legal form it would be much easier than going the long route - she will (as has proved in the past) bankrupt herself and her mother to play legal games. We could end up in mediation every other day for months...
Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 PM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

Write her an email (her responding is not necessary, you just need to get a date/time stamp that shows it was sent) requesting the information by X date...if she refuses, file a motion with the court to have it provided...if she has a history of playing games, then perhaps request a change in custody/access as she isn't acting in the children's best interests.

At minimum, request to put into place "the right of first refusal" for any child care requirement exceeding 4 hours.

Did you try doing a search for the mother via Canada411?
Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 PM

Yes, tried all sorts of ways on the computer to get the address. Short of a stealth mission to follow her to her mom's, I can't come up with anything. We wrote an email 2 days ago and gave her a Tueday deadline (the next time that the kids will be staying with her mom overnight).

How do you file a motion with the court to have the info provided? Which form?

Is "the right of first refusal" for any child care requirement exceeding 4 hours a fairly standard thing? Can we file the paperwork ourselves or do we need a lawyer? I am not interested in a long court battle (again)... at least not yet.

Sorry for all of the questions!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 AM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
Is "the right of first refusal" for any child care requirement exceeding 4 hours a fairly standard thing?
Yes it is.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 AM

KeepSmiling is on a distinguished road

"Right of First Refusal"

The Judge at our Case Conference said that it was a sad day indeed when a term from Real Estate Law makes its way into Family Law.

The Judge didn't give that request from my ex a second thought.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 AM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Judge at our Case Conference said that it was a sad day indeed when a term from Real Estate Law makes its way into Family Law.
Your judge was an idiot...it's a "contract law" term and has been used fairly commonly in this regard for close to a decade at least.

It's also pretty common in joint/shared custody situations. It amounts to if one parent is needing child care beyond X amount of time, the other parent is supposed to get first dibs on taking the kids. It's based on the principle that time spent with a parent is better than spent at a sitter.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 PM

KeepSmiling is on a distinguished road

And what are the criteria for "needing child care? My problem with "first right of refusal" is that if my child wishes to play with a friend and goes over to their house, and I go to the office to get some work done - my ex screams at me because I didn't "offer" the time to him. Or if Grandma would like to see her grandson and the child goes for a sleepover - was I first supposed to offer the sleepover to the father.

First right of refusal only works when parents are can communicate and are on a somewhat amicable basis. Otherwise, it's just too hard to pin down exactly how it should work.

And if they are amicable, then you shouldn't need it, and if their not - just stick to the schedule.
Closed Thread