Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:16 PM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

If an ex owes a few thousand dollars in back s.7 expenditures, do you charge interest? How does that work?

I have been notifying my ex periodically of the debt owed, yet those go ignored. I don’t believe the amount is substantial enough to warrant court on its own. It was high conflict so we’ll likely end up in court again/often, so my lawyer says to hang on until such time.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:01 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Im not sure you can apply interest if it isnt specifically noted in your agreement but I could be wrong.

I also wouldnt let it go so long that it gets so high. Are you able to take some off support each month?
Old 04-18-2022, 11:38 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brampton33 View Post
If an ex owes a few thousand dollars in back s.7 expenditures, do you charge interest? How does that work?

I have been notifying my ex periodically of the debt owed, yet those go ignored. I don’t believe the amount is substantial enough to warrant court on its own. It was high conflict so we’ll likely end up in court again/often, so my lawyer says to hang on until such time.
Why not file with FRO?
Old 04-19-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Im not sure you can apply interest if it isn�t specifically noted in your agreement but I could be wrong.

I also wouldn�t let it go so long that it gets so high. Are you able to take some off support each month?
The court order states that a 3% post-judgement interest rate applies. Not sure what that means. With regards to taking off of CS, the issue is that at first, my ex would berate me for asking her to repay her debt. Then she went for a period of time of simply ignoring my requests altogether. Now, as time has passed, its all forgotten with her, and she feels we are all squared somehow. Like it never happened because it was so long ago, despite me having all the receipts and no record of her ever paying. She will not agree to me taking of CS because she feels she owes nothing. Moreover, she is dependent upon my CS to pay her bills and lavish lifesyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
Why not file with FRO?
My lawyer told me to stay away from FRO for many reasons. One, is that it is a nightmare. Payments don't come out, or come out as double the amount, and then you spend 6 months trying to sort it out. Next, we just pay for our children's s.7 expenses as they come up, rather than a set monthly amount. We don't want to change that arrangement as s.7 expenditures are hit and miss with our kids....particularly during covid where things such as camp have been closed or we miss the signups due to limited capacities.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:59 AM

The clause may relate to anything outlined as owed in the order rather than anything coming up.

Who gives a crap what your ex does with the money. She could pay you back with it but doesnt. All you are doing is reducing the hands it has to go through. It would teach her to pay her bills. If you wait and take it to court, she could argue her way out of it.

FRO is not the evil beast many make it out to be. The only drawback is getting amounts updated. If your income doesnt change much, its perfect and you can submit your expenses as arrears she has to pay.

I say start subtracting $100 a month off cs to cover what she owes. She will be sure to follow her s7 expenses going forward. And I dont believe you will be faulted for it should she take you to court.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I say start subtracting $100 a month off cs to cover what she owes. She will be sure to follow her s7 expenses going forward.
I will bring this up at the next exchange of financial info. Which she will berate me over, or deny she owes me anything altogether.
Quote:
And I don�t believe you will be faulted for it should she take you to court.
That is my fear. It was a high conflict court battle where she pulled all the tricks she could. My case and behaviour had little to no blemishes to point at...always took high road with exceptional behaviour. I don't ever want to give her any ammo of any sort for her to use. She does not favour 50/50 parenting of our kids and will likely eventually try to reverse the court order. When that happens, I want to ensure she has absolutely nothing on me.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brampton33 View Post
I will bring this up at the next exchange of financial info. Which she will berate me over, or deny she owes me anything altogether.
Who cares what she thinks, says, does? She is a thief. She stole your money. If this wasnt your ex would you be ok with her taking the money she owes you? Probably not. Too many people put too much weight in what their ex thinks and says. Ignore her.

Quote:
That is my fear. It was a high conflict court battle where she pulled all the tricks she could. My case and behaviour had little to no blemishes to point at...always took high road with exceptional behaviour. I don't ever want to give her any ammo of any sort for her to use. She does not favour 50/50 parenting of our kids and will likely eventually try to reverse the court order. When that happens, I want to ensure she has absolutely nothing on me.
You arent going to score points for not taking the money back she owes you. And there would need to be a material change for her to win. So many people are afraid of court because they were burned the first time. You got more than most and now she is playing games with you because you are a good guy.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:43 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
Why not file with FRO?
I was told FRO won't enforce section 7 without actual amounts in the agreement. And when you need to update the percentage paid- you have to go back and update your order. But maybe that's not true?
Old 04-20-2022, 06:53 PM

Yes and no. You can file them as arrears and FRO adds that to the amount they owe. The problem is the payor can file a dispute and FRO will accept it and remove them.

You just have to hope your ex wont fight it!