Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:48 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road
Default Repayment of s.7 expenditures

When it comes to s.7 expenditures, I was made aware that you can only request shared payment for matters over $100. Is that for the registration of the activity, being that you should not be asking for shared payment for a registration of $90? Or is it that you should not be asking for payment if the amount owed by other parent is less than $100?

Also, my ex owes me a fairly decent amount in s.7 expenditures from the past years where I paid the expense and she hasn't repaid her share. Originally, she would ignore emails where I asked repayment. Now, as time has gone by, she treats the matter as far in the past and acts as though we are all square. Any insight in how to retrieve repayment would help. I don't believe the amount is substantive enough for court action.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:13 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

I believe the $100 rule is for medical expenses. As for other expenses, there is no hard and fast rule. Some families split a $20 school trip as a s7, some wait until the expense is over $100. It all depends on the situation, expense amount, child support amounts and incomes.

If your ex has a history of not paying her share you may want to rethink what you pay for and what you spend. It normally isnt worth court and if you dont have an order with a maintenance agency, you may be able to simply said you are reducing monthly support by x dollars until the amounts are repaid. An annual reminder may help too. When you have to update you can remind them that they owe you xyz from expenses in an attached chart and as such you will hold back abc dollars until it is paid etc.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. I heard it was a huge no-no to deviate from child support payments, as that money belongs to the children.

Besides, I don't think ex will agree either, as she now pretends we are all square, and needs the full support amount to sustain her lifestyle. Will bring it up at the annual finance exchange but she will likely ignore per usual.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:43 PM
Banned

pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brampton33 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I heard it was a huge no-no to deviate from child support payments, as that money belongs to the children.

Besides, I don't think ex will agree either, as she now pretends we are all square, and needs the full support amount to sustain her lifestyle. Will bring it up at the annual finance exchange but she will likely ignore per usual.
"As far as money goes it is for the children" is true for a small number of cases. It is a nice ideal but in the real Family Court world where the kids already have food and a warm bed it is a load of crap.
Tell me I am wrong and explain why only the adults are represented in cases where money is involved and parents receiving money don't have to demonstrate it was spent on the kids.

That being said I would update the child support yearly. If everything else is square take her to court. Court at its best is forcing someone to do what they should have been doing voluntarily. At its worst Family Court is about punishing the ex and only serves as a deterrent for the sane "don't come here"
Old 04-07-2022, 08:58 AM

So for the $100 rule on medical and dental, does that mean if the bill itself is less than $100? Or the total owed by the other parent is less than $100?

I really am at a loss for recovering the amounts owed from previous s.7 expenditures. My ex either ignored my emails asking for repayment, or blatantly denies that she owes anything at all. Emails go ignored, and I can't just unilaterally decide to deduct from child support until debt is paid off.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:20 AM

Its anything over 100 not covered by benefits but thats normally for parties with full table support.

Keep a running total. Then you can file a motion to get it back and ask for costs. That might spur her to pull her head out of her ass.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:53 PM

So if the dentist charges $200 and her proportionate share is $80, that counts towards the running total? Or is it that her proportionate share must total over $100 for it to count?
Old 04-07-2022, 01:02 PM

No benefits?

If her share of the total with no benefits is $80 then yes it goes on the total.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:20 PM

I have benefits, she does not.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:24 PM

If the $80 is the proportionate share after the application of benefits then that is the amount. You take the total, less the benefits and then calculate proportionate share.