Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highly recommended book: Ontario Courtroom Procedure

Hello all

I recently bought this book and it's been a huge help. It's not inexpensive: presently on sale from Lexis Nexis for $135.00. That price is a fraction of one hour with a lawyer but this book, at nearly two thousand pages, provides hours of fun and excellent entertainment value:

Ontario Courtroom Procedure by Fuerst and Sanderson.

It's written by two judges and covers in detail many of the uncodified procedures and conventions used in Ontario courts at and before trial, even providing sample scripts on such topics as how to introduce evidence and exhibits, and how to cross-examine.

The book comes with a searchable CD copy and I highly recommend it.

SE

I'm getting it!

Comment

Oh just a note, when buying from Lexis Nexis be sure to check the box not allowing them to send you updated version of the book. I got a 2015 of the family practice law book when I already owned the 2014. Great if I am a lawyer but a little too much for a private litigant.

It started to look like buying into a Columbia records deal.

Comment

Could you give some specifics as to how it has been helpful? How specific is the book to family law?

Comment

Ontario Courtroom Procedure covers criminal, civil and family, but at nearly two thousand pages there's plenty of coverage of family matters.

It has little on conferences- it's more trial oriented.

For someone who is representing themself in a family matter and have got to the point of a trial management conference, I expect buying Ontario Courtroom Procedure would be money well spent.

It is very specific about admissibility of evidence and how to get it in. Plenty on decorum as well.

That said, Headwaters mentions above that Lexis Nexis have a family practise book. Maybe that would be even more useful.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X