X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custoday change

A quick review.

Mother has sole custody for 5 years.Dad was never involved and was busy making two new kids during the time period.Now he has been separated from the new gf .Now the dad is looking for a custody change.He wants joint along with shared parenting.No material change and kids are been well taken care of.If the case goes to trial what are the chances for him to win.He stopped paying cs too about 2 years ago.Both kids are under 8 so their say won't count.

Any experiences/point of views.Thanks in advance

Maybe he figures getting child support from you is the only way he can afford to pay child support to the latest ex? I think he should be worrying about sharing custody of the newer kids who will definitely miss him, not the older kids who probably barely remember him from when they were toddlers. Probably he's learning more about how things work as he goes through the legal process a second time but maybe he thinks his chances are better with you than with the new ex. After all, you haven't gone after him for child support before, obviously he must consider you a pushover.

But honestly, isn't it better that he show interest in your mutual children later rather than never? To encourage this, maybe you could suggest the every other weekend deal, so they can start to get to know one another again? The big test is what's in the children's best interest, and you could easily argue that anything but a gradual introduction to him would be too stressful for children who he's pretty much a stranger to at this point. This would also be an opportunity to test his motivation. If he goes for it, you know he wants what's good for them. If he only wants 50-50, you know it's probably about the money. Who has the greater income, you or him?

Comment

SUFFERER- The chances of him getting any type custody right off the bat like that are next to NIL, unless you are some sort of really terrible abusive, drug using, alcohol abusing parent and he's not. Has he completely been out of their lives for five years?? Like no contact whatsoever?

If that is the case and there has been NO sort of contact for 5 years than I disagree with you RIOE with your better late than never theory. Just my two cents.

Comment

[QUOTE=madm82;77436][B] Has he completely been out of their lives for five years?? Like no contact whatsoever?

QUOTE]

He wasn't involved fr 5 years ,I was just refering to that he never showed up at school events or doctors appointments etc etc.He was every second weekend access parents(friday evening till sunday noon) and more or less was abiding to the routine regularly since last 2.5 years.Before that he had only couple hrs of sccess every weekend no overnights.

Does that means that custody change is easier for him.

Comment

it always bother me why people write

Originally posted by sufferer View Post
          Dad was never involved
          and than

I was just refering to that he never showed up at school events or doctors appointments etc etc.He was every second weekend access parents(friday evening till sunday noon) and more or less was abiding to the routine regularly since last 2.5 years.
          why just not write how it's from very beginning????

and just out of curiosity how much did you fight to make him EOW parent?

Comment

Workingdad- I completely agree with you. It would make trying to find a helpful answer a bit easier.

Sufferer- To try to clarify a little bit here, you said he was more or less abiding by the routine of EOW for the last 2.5 years, so you mean to say that he has had them EOW for the last 2.5 years right?

On that note, a custody change to 50/50 or what not could be easier for him to obtain. Unless you are a bad parent, I doubt the court would switch the children's living arrangements.

You sound angry at him though for making two other children in the time period since you two separated. I'll give you friendly advice here- keep that anger out of court. If you still have issues, and still haven't got over him, maybe you should seek a little bit of counseling yourself. It's such a helpful resource, and might make it easier for you to co-parent better if that's the route the court leans more towards with a change.

Comment

Thankyou madm82 for you answer and the advise too.I am over him and as long as he doesn't create problems for me and the kids I am fine with him.Kids are okay going with him every other weekend and he even has an additional extended access anually.Kids hesitate to go there at a strech of 7 days but i prepare them mentally.
              The only thing that bugs me is that he really things that world should go by him as he is MR RIGHT.I am even planning to invte his children to my kids birthday parties.;-)

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post

and just out of curiosity how much did you fight to make him EOW parent?

I don't want you to be curious so please note it was what he suggested that as long as the matrimonial property is going to him the father consents to the sole custody to the mother.;-)

Comment

Originally posted by sufferer View Post
                  I don't want you to be curious so please note it was what he suggested that as long as the matrimonial property is going to him the father consents to the sole custody to the mother.;-)
                  thank you
                  and why would you agree to that ?

Comment

Probably because she values her children more than material posessions?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                      Probably because she values her children more than material posessions?
                      that obvious one of course.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X