Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure whom to ask

Anyone have guesses.....taxes.

In the profile questions asks if your marriage situation has chaned.

We seperated June 2018. I paid my ex hausband monthly support payments.

He passed away very unexpectedly in May 2021.

I will probably need to call CRA and sit on hold for an hour...

But did my status change? From Seperated to widow?

I was the executrix of his account and have to do his taxes as well as mine, and just unsure how to proceed.

Originally posted by canthisberight View Post
    Anyone have guesses.....taxes.

In the profile questions asks if your marriage situation has chaned.

We seperated June 2018. I paid my ex hausband monthly support payments.

He passed away very unexpectedly in May 2021.

I will probably need to call CRA and sit on hold for an hour...

But did my status change? From Seperated to widow?

I was the executrix of his account and have to do his taxes as well as mine, and just unsure how to proceed.
    That is a really good question..my ex is still alive and we are legally separated, not divorced. I am really curious about this also.

Comment

It makes little difference as your taxes don’t change. When you divorce or remarry, that is an impact on your taxes as you go from filing jointly to being single or vice versa. You would put widowed depending on the options on the tax form and in future years simply change it to common law or single depending on your status.

Note though for common law, it has to be a year after the status change. For instance you move in together in July 2020. Your status therefore changed July 2021. Everything else is the date it happened. Not sure why common law is like that but I learned after I moved in with my now husband.

Comment

since tax year 2019

I have posted as seperated, so don't change that?

Comment

I would change it. Technically you are not divorced therefore the marriage is severed due to death making you widowed.

Comment

Ok thank you

That makes sense...want to do taxes soon.

Comment

Yeah, you are widowed.
              Maybe lucky you, many of us wish to have been so lucky.
              Congratulations on winning the divorce lottery.

Comment

You are wrong

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
                Yeah, you are widowed.
                It was a very bitter seperation...he did not talk to me since the day I left. The effects it has had on one of my young adult children...devastating, he was her best friend...so I do not feel that way

Comment

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
                  Yeah, you are widowed.
                  What a tacky and classless comment to make.

Comment

Thank you

And ya I shook my head at it...

Comment

Originally posted by canthisberight View Post
                      And ya I shook my head at it...
                      So sorry about that, I'm sure you and your children have been through enough without having to wade through that kind of unnecessary garbage. I hope you're all healing, especially the kids losing a parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                        Does it make any difference at all on your taxes if you check "divorced" versus "separated"?
                        "Until your divorce is finalized, you’ll submit your tax return as “separated”. After it’s finalized, you submit your taxes as “divorced”. Note that in terms of your tax return, not much will change between your “separated” and “divorced” status, but the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) expects to be abreast of these status changes. You should ensure that you’re taking advantage of any applicable tax deductions based on each marital status."

https://www.cpp.ca/blog/tax-basics-i...ewly-divorced/

Comment

I don’t find marital status has a big impact on your taxes to be honest. It’s just a benefit for maximizing different things. Example the year we had some hefty medical costs was the year my husband was unemployed so they were shared on his taxes causing a benefit to both of us.

Overall it’s about what you do to reduce taxes and your taxable income. Property taxes, rent, donations, RRsP contributions, additional income tax etc. all play a part. I was pretty happy when they introduced the newspaper benefit last year. Two digital subscriptions meant a tax benefit!

One year I needed to work two jobs to make ends meet. I had extra tax taken off job 2 and it resulted in money coming back.

Comment

Rockscan is right, technically your status changed but it will not affect your income taxes as you didn’t gain or lose a spouse for tax purposes...curious though: how did you end up as executrix (re: bitter separation)?

Comment

didn't read the whole thread.
                              Claiming kids for the spousal benefit amount is $13K off the income. If I remember right.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X