Counter offers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter offers

I’ve recently counter-offered an offer my ex had sent me. From my understanding she will not be accepting it. She will want more SS and most likely a bigger settlement. There’s no way I can afford more. Therefore, I may have to go to court. What are the next processes? I have been separated over 15 years and she doesn’t seem to want to settle unless she gets a ridiculous amount of money.
    I may have to go over all my Financials from 15 years ago. Would interest be added? Also, would I be able to counter offer her counter offer? I’m not sure what else to do. This as to be the most greedy, vindictive person I’ve ever met in my life. It’s a shame because we have children together. I see how much they have suffered all these years seeing this. They are both adults now fortunately

Going back 15 years you say. Asking the forum here. Can they do that?

Comment

She originally served me over 15 years ago. Every time we tried to settle she would just not accept it. Alway wanting more. Even when we went to mediation and came up with a settlement she changed her mind again after showing her lawyer

Comment

I have had lawyers do that to me....I call them for one thing and they say "hey I can get you out this other thing where you are paying X piddly amount when I know they did not have enough information to say that" Scumbags.

Your ex sounds a bit difficult too, she doesn't have to listen to the lawyer. Interest may be added. She wants to compound it daily, right?
        Someone else here will have a better opinion for you.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
          Going back 15 years you say. Asking the forum here. Can they do that?
          I do not believe there is a limitations period for spousal support.

I am pretty sure that equalization has a limitations period. I felt it was less than 5 years, but I could be wrong. Certainly not 15 years.

Comment

Not a lawyer, but I believe unless there was bad behaviour on your part (i.e. fraudulently representing income, intentionally moving assets), 3 years is the max that they will go back for retroactive spousal support.

At this point it becomes an issue of why does your ex need spousal support if she's survived for 15 years on her own without it? It would be a windfall for her.

Equalization is 6 years after separation, 2 years after divorce, unless the judge overrides it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
              I do not believe there is a limitations period for spousal support.
              There is. I posted it. Its like 7 years or something... I posted about it years ago with the case law. I just can't seem to find it now as I don't pay much attention to SS.

Comment

A limit on retroactive or prospective SS? Or both?

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Has anyone done multiple counteroffers?
                  I will ask my lawyer about the 6 year limit, although I don’t think it applies to me since there was a court order from her original lawyer for cross examination, which they never proceeded with. It’s been at least 10 years. Also, she did ask for SS support when I originally got served over 15 years ago but we never agreed to anything Permanent. I have offered her it in my most recent offer. I’m still waiting for her response. Although, I have heard she wants more.
                  I don’t want to break free without paying anything, although I don’t want to be financially destroyed. I wonder after all these years if she’s even entitled.

Comment

I seriously doubt you'll find a judge who cares - 15 years later. Might as well just ignore everything moving forward. Hard to be sympathetic about breaking free without paying after 15 years.

Comment

I didn’t say I don’t want to settle this, of course I do. I’ve been extremely fair with the offers I’ve submitted throughout the years. This last offer is giving her even more than she’s entitled to. I just want to get it over, at whatever cost. Now if she keeps on raising the price I have no choice but to go to court. When you’re dealing with a very greedy vindictive person it never ends. When I suggested or asked if she’s even entitled I was basing it on what other people said about a six-year limit. No one wants to go through a long-term battle with there ex. It only causes stress, anxiety, and depression . How many people have committed suicide as a result. I will pay her accordingly to what I owe her
                      Last edited by OB1; 02-03-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
                        Now if she keeps on raising the price I have no choice but to go to court.
                        Except if court doesn't want to hear it, then what. There's nothing stopping you from paying what you think is right. Either pay it or ignore it. After 15 years, who cares.

~ there's something about the angry, controlling, dictatorish behaviour on a divorce forum... mmmmm

Comment

I don’t appreciate you saying controlling behaviour dictatorship and referring to me. You only wish your ex was grateful as I have been. I have paid my ex-wife a lot of money in child support even though I was not supposed to. I’ve over paid by 35,000, and closing my eyes to it. I’ve also offered her at least 75,000 more than I should be giving her just to get this over with. So please don’t judge. Some people just think the other person is a millionnaire not really knowing what they have, and even when you tell them they don’t believe you. I know this forum is just to get ideas and nothing more. At the end of the day my lawyer and I will decide.
                          Last edited by OB1; 02-03-2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
                            I don’t appreciate you saying controlling behaviour dictatorship and referring to me. You only wish your ex was grateful as I have been. I have paid my ex-wife a lot of money in child support even though I was not supposed to. I’ve over paid by 35,000, and closing my eyes to it. I’ve also offered her at least 75,000 more than I should be giving her just to get this over with. So please don’t judge. Some people just think the other person is a millionnaire not really knowing what they have, and even when you tell them they don’t believe you. I know this forum is just to get ideas and nothing more. At the end of the day my lawyer and I will decide.
                            I can see how you feel insulted. Projection is a hard thing to control and very unfair.

The opinion here has been "there is a time limitation". How come your lawyer did not tell you this?
                            How come her lawyer didn't gobble up the offer if it is true?

If it is true

Step A > immediately direct them in writing to rescind the offers.
                            Step B > whatever else it is you are waiting for them to sign make an official offer of the fair amount plus a few thousand.
                            Step C > go to court. They may not want to hear it and slap her with a fish and say "settle it"

Step D > take your lawyer to assessment office and ask for the money he wasted because he didn't know the limitation rules.

It is your only way.

Comment

Thank you for your response. At the moment I’m on step B. They have another week to respond. If they change anything I will look at it and decide my next steps.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X