Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:21 PM

goingbacktocourt is on a distinguished road
Question Preparing for trial

Hello,

Can any one make a recommendation on a book that I can buy to outline the procedural steps in preparing for Trial ? I have a Trial this Sept to deal with custody and access.
Trial record, book of documents, questioning witness cross examining, introducing evidence, I need it all.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:54 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you live near a law library that you can get access to?

'Handling a Family Law Matters in Ontario' by MacDonald and Partners has a chapter on conducting a trial (Chapter 16)

also 'Evidence in Family Law' by Harold Niman has a chapter on conducting trials.

They're both written for lawyers, but they give you a comprehensive amount of information on the matter.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:49 PM

somethingelse is on a distinguished road

I strongly recommend Ontario Courtroom Procedure by Fuerst and Sanderson, two Ontario judges, available online from the publisher, Lexis Nexis. Like many textbooks, it's expensive at about a hundred dollars, but that's less than the cost of half an hour with a lawyer.

Also, watch at least one trial before your own. Watch it early on- it will show you the importance of Requests to Admit and Affidavits of Documents, which need to be done early, as well as how to cross-examine and what's admissible and what's not admissible.