This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro bill??

The hydro bill is in my name and comes out of my personal bank acct, would it adversly affect me if i give her notice that i will be cancelling the hydro in my name??....she almost never pays her share which in my opinion should be 2/3rds of bill due to her son living here and i cannot keep coming up with money at the last minute depending on if she decides to pay or not...i would like to keep at a bare minimum of joint debts, basically if it has to be in both our names fine but if not then i not intersted in keeping it that way...thanks for any input

Hi - I know you're having it rough in the house. From what I understand you will be selling the house - at which time you can work out all (past/final) bill payments. I guess she pays for the heat, cable etc? I personally wouldn't inflame the situation with canceling the account, you know the old tit-for-tat? If she is planning on staying in the house, it may become a different scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by torontonian View Post
      Hi - I know you're having it rough in the house. From what I understand you will be selling the house - at which time you can work out all (past/final) bill payments. I guess she pays for the heat, cable etc? I personally wouldn't inflame the situation with canceling the account, you know the old tit-for-tat? If she is planning on staying in the house, it may become a different scenario.
      Good advice. If you can afford to pay it then I would. The conflict isn't worth it. On equalization if the bill is really that big of a deal it can be addressed then.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

the only thing she pays for is cable/phone...i not allowed to use phone and we heat by electric which falls on me, i have requested it to come out of "house" acct with refusal, i have asked for her share and i lucky if i even see it and with mouting medical issues not allowing me to work my fulltime job for 40hrs a week i barely scraping by..i was told by family lawyer that i can do and her demands for everything elseincluding stalling for sale of house has me at my limit..i not intending to do this outta spite but for the simple fact that i cannot afford to maintain these bills being dumped on me when she feels like it and yes i getting the strong impression shes planning on staying furthermore i was advised by lawyer that if she not list then to stop paying bills myself to basically force her to sell or lose..one last thing...i only interested in the 40% agreed upon almost a year ago...i just wish to move on with my life!!

Comment

Hang on a second - you have a joint house account? Then by all means transfer the Hydro bill to it. You don't "need" her permission, she (+1) lives there, it's a joint expense. But note you will need to "divorce" your financials ASAP. Now I get why your Hydro (heating) bill is killing you...

Comment

"divorce" financials??...dont know what that means..just want hydro out of my name...tired of getting screwed on house bills

Comment

it means to separate all joint accounts, making sure she doesnt have signing priviliges on any credit card in your name and things like that.

Comment

oh!..the only credit card in both our names is an equity line visa that is joined to the mortgage..i do not use that account other than to deposit cash for bills..but my biggest concern is that this hydro thing has been going on for awhile and will affect my credit if at some popint im unable to pay..never know till last minute if shes going to give me cash for it..so i can cancel hydro in my name and give her written notice of it then to give her time to switch to her name?? i still intend to pay my share but this is the only way i can think of not getting caught short

Comment

So what happens if she refuses to open a new Hydro account, you freeze in the dark??

Comment

yep but so will she and her son, i was already forced to get rid of reptiles i've had for over 11yrs and tired of having to borrow money that I have to pay back while she neglects bills and her share of the responsibilty, i'm already in hell so whats one more thing??...at least i wont have to beg money anymore, i intend on giving her written notice for 1 week...i'm just so tired of being jerked around for money and such when alls i want is the house listed so i can move forward with my life i hope someone understands where i'm coming from and how i feel

Comment

Give her 30 days to either place the bill in her name, or for her to agree (in writing) for it to be drawn from the current joint account.

Then follow through.

Comment

I was forced to do this 6 months ago - many utilities. Call the utility directly and ask to speak to their credit department.... actually just the billing department and they will tell you their proceedure to transfer the name on the account. (What they can/will do totally depends on your circumstances - is she registered with them for example?) Each utility made it very easy for me to do once I explained my circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by shlaba View Post
                          oh!..the only credit card in both our names is an equity line visa that is joined to the mortgage..i do not use that account other than to deposit cash for bills..
                          Why aren't you worried about the equity line visa that is joined to your mortgage ? do a search through all of the posts, and you will see how many people have been screwed by their exes from them maxing out credit cards, line of credits etc...My recommendation is that you freeze it so no withdrawals can be made on it-or just cancel it ! You have a lot at stake if this is taken advantage of, not to mention your credit rating...

Comment

May_May is right. As far for myself - I have Mess to thank for his timely and accurate forcasting of what my ex was going to try next - from draining the paythebills account, she cashed out the kids RESP (They are or were owned by the actual contributors until a child withdraws it - I put it in, she took it out! Then there was the move to add line of credit provisions to two accounts behind my back after the bank assured she could not. The bank fixed this mistake (see even your credit provider can make a mistake that could cost you money too) I can go on, but early on in my seperation this all happened and I closed it all down. Mess saved me $35,000 worth of risk and it really upset my ex that everything she tried - no longer worked.... AFTER I listened and after I did what Mess and all the other posters said,

Please, from your other posts as well where you indicated you did not have any joint account (s) a few weeks ago. If you are not sure - PLEASE go to your bank tomorrow, see the manager and ask your manager for help to review your risk from every possible angle and get them all removed. You can't do this soon enough.

Comment

didnt think the visa linked to the mortgage mattered, im kinda learning as i go..but i did call and freeze the account upon your suggestion..the only thing i not sure to do is about the joint bank account but i only deposit money when required for bills other than that i have nothing to do with said account..the only other question is the line of credit i use and pay myself even though she took $ off it almost 2yrs ago..i would like to keep that open as i use it myself when needed but since she agrees she owes $ on it shouldnt she have to put something towards it??..this is one of the many reasons i gonna cancel hydro out of my name...oh one last thing she signed an agreement for a washer/dryer i purchased that she would make monthly payments or pay in full if she missed, well she not paying as agreed upon and refuses to pay in full..is this a small claims issue or can i tie into house stuff??..sorry not tryin to keep things out just so much to think of...one last thing is joint tenants or tenants in common better?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X