This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I avoid a lawyer?

Got together in 2004. Had a son in 2006. Filed our taxes together in 2007 as common law. Bought a house together in 2007. Had a daughter in 2008. He worked at many jobs over that time, and for the most part, I was in school or home with the kids (4 years)

Basically, the house is our only real asset.

He works out of town for 4 weeks and home for 2 weeks. How does visitation work? I'm fine with joint custody.

Am I correct in saying that I could apply for him to pay me spousal support?

I'm going back to school in September, if that makes a difference to anything, and am not working. Right now, I am at home with my kids again.

Any tips/ advice would be appreciated. I want to keep this as easy as possible.

If your reasonable and so is the other parent, anything can be avoided.

Comment

I suggest that you base any agrement you both agree to on facts and standards. The laws and guidelines are in place to ensure as much as possible that some objectivity is in place in an emotional situation. I recommend you familiarize yourself with at least the basic tenets of an agreement: child support tables, spousal support guidelines, division of assets. Even if you vary from them, you'll know what the general expectations are.

Remember: agreements are made so that they can be put into a file and forgotten about and for life to go on.......until you really need them enforced. Do that homework now so there are no regrets later. You don't need a lawyer for that homework.

FG

Comment

Originally posted by fieldgrey View Post
        I suggest that you base any agrement you both agree to on facts and standards. The laws and guidelines are in place to ensure as much as possible that some objectivity is in place in an emotional situation. I recommend you familiarize yourself with at least the basic tenets of an agreement: child support tables, spousal support guidelines, division of assets. Even if you vary from them, you'll know what the general expectations are.

Remember: agreements are made so that they can be put into a file and forgotten about and for life to go on.......until you really need them enforced. Do that homework now so there are no regrets later. You don't need a lawyer for that homework.

FG
        Great advice.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X