Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extraordinary expenses - can CS payor claim?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extraordinary expenses - can CS payor claim?

I have sole custody of my son. He is now 15. For about the first 4-5 years of his life extraordinary expenses (for daycare) were split proportionally to both parents incomes (with me paying the larger portion as my income is higher).

For about the next 10 years (and especially the last 5) I continued to have extraordinary expenses. However I did not claim anything from the other parent. This was because the expenses were not huge (i.e. less than $1,000 per annum) and even more so because I wanted to avoid conflict.

In recent years the amount of extraordinary expenses is growing. This is mostly in connection with my son's exceptional musical talents and related tuition. For example this year they could easily exceed $2,000.

I am also aware that in the next few years my son may be offered an opportunity to travel internationally with his school's musical groups (at a cost of $4,000 per trip). He is also involved in another community music programme that may select him to travel internationally (with a similar expense).

My child's father has not provided me with tax returns or NOAs for about 5 years. I am now suggesting to him that, as of summer 2013, I provide him with the last 3 years of my tax returns and NOAs and that he do likewise for me. I have also provided him with a list of already paid, and anticipated, extraordinary expenses for the remainder of this year (2012) so he can plan/know in advance what is expected.

I anticipate that I will be paying at least two-thirds of the extraordinary expenses if not more.

Another reason that I wish to explore this in more detail sooner is because less than 4 years from now my son will probably attend university. I would like us to have some kind of 'routine' so the transition to this next phase can go smoothly.

For about 3 years I have suggested to the father that we sort related matters out on our own. However that has not got anywhere! In one phone conversation the father yelled that he will not be contributing to university expenses at all. That worried me..

In the past the father has several time quit mediation so I am reluctant to go that route again. I am thinking of retaining a lawyer to deal with this matter of extraordinary expenses.

So what are my questions? First, in the sparse conversation that we have had recently about this the father is talking about 'his' extraordinary expenses that he will be claiming (without providing any specifics/examples). Does anybody know of payors claiming extraordinary expenses and what they were for? I should mention that the father only sees the child EOW during the school year, and one of those days the only regulary scheduled activity for our son has been paid by me.

Also: does anyone have any advice for me?

Just a little more background.... my son's musical activities commenced about 5 years ago when he was selected by his primary school and a community organization for a musical 'bursary.' It involved one class during the week (that I brought him to) and one on the weekend (that the father complained about because it was on 'his' time). In light of the complaint the next year I switched our son into musical activities that only took place on weekdays - and therefore did not intrude on his father's time at all.

Similary, the most recent extension of my son's musical activities was not initiated by me - but rather by my son's music teachers. That my son's stepmother has been driving him on their weekends seems to indicate support for the activities. Further the father's (and his father's) and stepmother's attendance at concerts during this past year also suggests support.

Interested to hear any comments and suggestions. Thanks.
    Last edited by Simplicity; 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM. Reason: typo
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X