This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RESP - new contributions

Well, I need some advice on other's experience but my situation is a little complicated...

My hopefully STBX has requested information to set-up an RESP for our child. I already have one set-up and contributed until this process got so messy I've got no $ left to spare (he hasn't paid child support as of yet - but that's besides the point). How are others handling having 2 RESP's set-up for the same child? Isn't the grant money up to a max/child so we cannot have 2 accounts each getting the max benefit can we?

I'm sure happy that he's thinking about our child's future education but for good reason, I'm quite suspicious of his actions. I don't know how best to accept this offer in my child's best interest without being careful.

Here's the few problems I have with it. My x has been asking for my son's birth certificate since we split - i believe this is a scare tactic since he's got a passport from another country and could add our child's name on it and take off. He's come up with a few stories to try to get it but luckily courts have taken caution with it. Second, I highly suspect that one day he'll flee the country to get out of child support and it seems to me like he could still cash in this resp so it may never benefit my child anyway.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice. I'd like to hear if anyone worked out another solution to the resp's. I think he could just contribute to a GIC or something in our child's name or include the money in the resp I have set-up already but how would we determine who contributed what 15 years from now???

Thanks for sharing!
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X