X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i protect myself

Hi there!

I have a question about my legal rights regarding custody of my 3 kids. I have been legally divorced for 4 years, we have joint custody, with me having primary care and control, and final decision-making authority. My ex husband moved to whitehorse a little over a year ago. He saw the kids last summer for 5 weeks, and wants to see them again this summer. He has been pushing for my oldest boy (15) to come live with him and go to school there next year. I dont agree, and my son accepts that. My question is whether I should take any other legal steps to ensure he doesnt return my son at the end of the summer.

Melanie,

Just an opinion,

You mentioned that you have joint custody of the children but the primary residence is with you. If you have all this in a court order then you don't have to do anything. If the child or children are not returned as per the court order, Your x would be in contempt. There is much you can do at this point as nothing has happened yet. If the child/children are not returned then you could take steps such as an emergency motion and have the children returned.

Comment

I agree there, it would virtually be illegal for him not to return your son, correct?

Comment

Yes, it would be totally illegal, immoral, and selfish for him to do this. But, he has done things in the past that have left me feeling a little cautious. I dont want to spend $$ on a lawyer, and I was just seeing if there was something I could do before the kids left. Because, really... if my son is down there in school, do I really want to take him out and make him go thru switching schools yet again? I get that legally he can't. I am wondering if there is something I could write or get a lawyer to write that would guarantee that he didnt try.... thanx guys. I'm glad i found this site. you are on my favorites now. Wish I found it 5 years ago!!

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent this before it happens.

Your son is 15, and can have a say in the matter. At 15 he probably doesn't want to change schools and be away from his friends.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X