This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lay off,Possible strike

I am in need of some answers to a possible Strike and lay-off.The company i work for is shutting down for 2 months (June-July).I have work for the first 2 weeks then i WILL be laid off.I am also in a position on July 12-09 of a possible strike.Here is my questions:I have been paying child support and alimony on time and by the guidelines.Come July i will only receive about a third of my usual income.Is ther a guideline that suggests then what these amounts would come to?I have a mediated agreement with my X,not with FRO.She thinks that i should pay the full amount.I am sure there is something out there that addresses this issue.Also my step daughter says she going to college in the fall(she just turned 18)but won't give me any details.I have asked for this info for no later then the end of June.Has anyone had any experiances in this area.Realy need some guidance here,thanks.

With regards to your obligated amount of child support... check out the Federal Child Support Guidelines and Tables.

Here are some places to start:
    The Federal Child Support Guidelines: Step-by-Step
    Federal Child Support Tables (PDF) 2006

Based on your change in financial circumstance, as they call it, you have every right to adjust your child support amount based on your new income. Usually, if your change in financial circumstance isn't drastic, you would wait until you get your tax return to adjust the amount. However, when you experience a lay-off you can determine a new amount immediately after the change in income.

Should your ex not want to agree to a new amount, it is within your right to file a Motion to Vary with the Court, asking them to determine a new amount for you. But hopefully you won't need to go through that time consuming headache. Make sure you have all your lay-off information documented, with your new income information and start date depicted on official company paperwork. Sent copies to your ex with your proposed amount based on the guidelines, and pray that she is understanding of your situation and willing to agree to the new amount.

As for your stepdaughter and college... I would send your ex a letter registered mail asking her to provide you with information regarding her daughter's intent to attend college and a copy of her schedule and acceptance by September 2009. If she fails to provide this information, you may very well withdraw from providing support for this child.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Lay-off

<META content="Microsoft SafeHTML" name=Generator><STYLE>.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}</STYLE>Appreciate the response.I am familiar with the guide lines and the tables.It doesn't adress the changes in income because it only uses a calculation on a tax year.Because we don't have it registered with the FRO,is there any other means or tables to look at?I have read too many horror stories relating to FRO.Even the Ombudsmum has had his words about them.I don't want to go there at all.Have no problems with payments.Just don't want to get milked if you know what i mean.Anyone else who would like to jump in would be more than gratified.

Comment

There's just the one set of guidelines. You use them regardless of whether you are using FRO, another agency, or doing your own private transactions. You use your income tax notice of assessment to calculate child support on your own, when there are no drastic changes in financial circumstance. If there are, such as a layoff, then you need to readjust it immediately, either through an agreement with your ex or a new court order.

Comment

Thanks for the info.If anyone else can add to this dilima,please do.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X