This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compensation for after school care

I pay full child support etc and my 3 school age kids between 6 and 11yrs go to their mother's after school for 1.5 to 2 hours during my week as she is not working. We have a shared parenting arrangement. She is now requesting payment for this and will provide receipts? I have offered to pay for any additional costs associated with after school care during my week such as snacks and am not aware of any additional costs associated with this arrangment. Is this right? they are her children and she gets to spend extra time with them and they get to see her more which is good as well.

Honestly that made me laugh. Tell her to put in a motion, and watch the judge dismiss her motion. Make sure to go for costs in your answer....lol.

Comment

Payment for what? Receipts for what?

She is crazy - you are lucky to be single from her.

Don't pay for snacks or anything else. Payment for taking care of her own kids?? What a joke that is.

The problem with giving her some money for snacks it that is sets a precedent for her to see expenses she incurs while with the kids as something you have to pay for.

Also, why are you paying full CS???? And she wants more? Quite a woman you have there.

If she is not working is no reason for you to pay full CS - she is living off something, and that has to be shared with her kids (via offset CS to you).

Comment

What the Hell?

Hey, what the hell?

You can charge your ex spouse for babysitting your own children? Why didn't anyone tell me about this????? You slackers!

Hey, can I also file a motion to charge him back for all the times that I had to have sex with him and wasn't in the mood. I figure at the hourly rate I'd charge (I could provide receipts), I have a huge figure owing to me.

Comment

This makes me laugh because my friend's ex tried the same thing. He wanted her to pay him for looking after his own child. Insane.

Courts will laugh at her. DO NOT PAY HER ANYTHING.

Comment

Well if you lived in France you could sue him for a sub standard sex life

Comment

Would you have to pay a third party if not for her? If so, this is arguable.

However you could tell her you will remove them from her care and put them in another after school care if she insists.

Anyhow can't the 11 year old legally babysit the other two at your home for 2 hours or this too risky?

Maybe you could swap some free babysitting on her time in exchange or provide some other benefit (fix something around her house, service her car, other man stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by beebie View Post
                Arguable yes. Winnable argument? Well.....not so sure about that.

Yes, a judge may assert some value to it. However, being that they are her own kids AND that after school care is an extraordinary expense, she would therefore have to pay her proportional share of such expense if OP had to seek outside caregiving. So she is receiving a double benefit of extra time with the kids and reduced costs.

Further, does the OP's court order or agreement provide for a right of first refusal to either parent, which would entitle his ex to such time? If so, that would have an affect on the necessity to pay her for her time as she is entitled to such time per the ROFR.

Another consideration is, is she losing out of time where she could be earning an income? If so, then her argument is stronger. However, if she is not seeing any loss of income due to looking after the kids, her argument weakens.

I say something to my ex that rhymes with "Bet Lent".

Comment

No, it's not - it not about what might be, but what is - the mom is home so the kids go to her house after school, and parents don't get paid for watching their own kids - CS handles expenses.

However you could tell her you will remove them from her care and put them in another after school care if she insists.
                  This is a hollow and silly 'threat' - the kids should be with their mom and IF he were to hire someone, the mom would be the best choice.

Anyhow can't the 11 year old legally babysit the other two at your home for 2 hours or this too risky?
                  Irrelevant - the mom is home watching them because she wants to.

Maybe you could swap some free babysitting on her time in exchange or provide some other benefit (fix something around her house, service her car, other man stuff)
                  Ummm, why do this, the mom does not deserve any compensation for being with her own kids.

Comment

No shit. Isn't this the same mom that freaked out when Dad suggested the kids come directly home after school and spend the time at his place under the care of the oldest sibling who's ike 14 or something?

So mom doesn't like THAT arrangement and insists on this arrangement but now wants dad to pay her for the privelege of spending more time with her own kids?

Comment

yes you guys are right and the full child support by Father won't win Mom any sympathy at Court.
                      Why doesn't he impute an income to her?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydad View Post
                        I pay full child support etc and my 3 school age kids between 6 and 11yrs go to their mother's after school for 1.5 to 2 hours during my week as she is not working. We have a shared parenting arrangement. She is now requesting payment for this and will provide receipts? I have offered to pay for any additional costs associated with after school care during my week such as snacks and am not aware of any additional costs associated with this arrangment. Is this right? they are her children and she gets to spend extra time with them and they get to see her more which is good as well.
                        I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in my entire life. She is just being a bee with an itch, plain and simple. Sitting here shaking my head. Not gonna lie though, I did lol when I first read it. Crazy ex's

Comment

lol...I laughed too. Excuse my french but she's bat-shit crazy. For some reason, its comforting to know that I'm not the only one who married a loser.

Comment

If my ex were willing to provide receipts for childcare during my time with the kids, I would just do it.

I would be paying for childcare otherwise. It makes it clear that it is still "my time" and she wouldn't be able to claim she had increased custody level. I would be able to claim the amounts on income tax. The money would be going to her household and directly or indirectly would improve the kids' lifestyle. I don't see a "lose" situation here, it is "win/win".

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X