No announcement yet.

Revenue Canada - "Separated"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm going through this process and sent my information to CRA proving my marital status as my ex spouse decided in their infinite wisdom to file married.
    I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and information on this forum as it has been enlightening to say the least and a tremendous help to me. Now for the waiting game.... I should hear back within the next couple weeks so wish me luck! If not than I'm going to take the next step and appeal it.

What a living nightmare.... And just when you thought the separation process was horrible.

Comment

• I went ahead and submitted my 2012 taxes today.

I claimed separated
      I claimed one child as a eligible dependent
      I claimed 20% of my 2012 legal fees to establish child support payments (as a recipient - Set-off). My order specifically states she pays me x and I pay her y.

I now also have to go back and adjust my 2011 taxes although that seems a little more difficult.

Comment

• FB:

I'm sure there's more than one way to skin a cat with regard to CRA. I think if you just file separated, they'll end up sending you a package with a questionnaire to prove it.

Like I said, I just paid the fees (it was around 5-6k total) and then asked for re-assessment. If you do it the way I did, you have to fill out the adjustment request which triggers them looking at your return: T1-ADJ - T1 Adjustment Request

As I stated, I also sent a letter and proof documentation. At one point when CRA called me, I told them I could send more and the rep on the phone said "please don't.." because I sent everything I could think of in legal docs to prove my case.

Maybe it was just a case of the squeeky wheel getting the grease but I can tell you, its been a nice summer with all the $ I've gotten back.

Comment

• Originally posted by oink View Post
          Rioe...I am sure you meant CRA in your post above?
          Haha, yes I did, and it's too late to edit - drat! I was trying so hard not to put RCT as I knew that was wrong...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
            FB:

I'm sure there's more than one way to skin a cat with regard to CRA. I think if you just file separated, they'll end up sending you a package with a questionnaire to prove it.

Like I said, I just paid the fees (it was around 5-6k total) and then asked for re-assessment. If you do it the way I did, you have to fill out the adjustment request which triggers them looking at your return: T1-ADJ - T1 Adjustment Request

As I stated, I also sent a letter and proof documentation. At one point when CRA called me, I told them I could send more and the rep on the phone said "please don't.." because I sent everything I could think of in legal docs to prove my case.

Maybe it was just a case of the squeeky wheel getting the grease but I can tell you, its been a nice summer with all the $ I've gotten back.
            I'm working on sending in the T1-ADJ now for 2011.

Comment

• I logged onto CRA this morning.

I have my 2012 notice of assessment.

It was accepted as submitted. I also checked my marital status which is now listed as separated (Dec 31st, 2012).

I'm going to send in my T1-ADJ for 2011 hopefully this week.

I'm sure the next step will be them "re-evaluating" my claim and then coming back to me asking for the money back. I'm guessing my return was computer processed.

A couple more steps forward...I'm sure backwards steps are coming.

Comment

• Just another update.

I called today to find out about the CCTB and UCCB.

They said they need proof of a shared parenting arrangement and I should be receiving that letter in the mail soon.

I noticed that my separation date has once again been updated online to May 15, 2013 (day my ex changed her address). This makes me think they are going to come back at some point about claiming my son as a dependent for 2012. I've put the refund in a TFSA anticipating this.

I also have an active appeal filed with CRA. I called them today and all they could tell me that an acknowledgment letter was sent out yesterday so I should have that next week. They could not tell me anything else.

Comment

• They said they need proof of a shared parenting arrangement and I should be receiving that letter in the mail soon.
                  I actually accomplished this by sending in a stamped letter from my lawyer's office because I didn't have my final custody/access agreement in place but since you have an agreement already, you can just send that in.

You're definitely getting closer. My fingers are crossed for you!

Comment

• Well ... I submitted all my documents the beginning of July and here I am in September still waiting to hear if they have accepted what was submitted. I called them, as I was told it would take 6-8 weeks and we are now going onto 3 months.

Have to admit .. It's very frustrating. I keep thinking that if they were going to decline the material I sent I would have heard from them in the 6-8 week time frame.

So ... I sit and wait ... has anyone else had to wait this long?

Comment

I actually accomplished this by sending in a stamped letter from my lawyer's office because I didn't have my final custody/access agreement in place but since you have an agreement already, you can just send that in.

You're definitely getting closer. My fingers are crossed for you!
                      I sent my agreement in via my appeal. I asked if they could just get it from them. They said just send it again.

So that's what I will do, once I get the letter.

Comment

• Well ... I submitted all my documents the beginning of July and here I am in September still waiting to hear if they have accepted what was submitted. I called them, as I was told it would take 6-8 weeks and we are now going onto 3 months.

Have to admit .. It's very frustrating. I keep thinking that if they were going to decline the material I sent I would have heard from them in the 6-8 week time frame.

I'm not sure when in July you sent your documents but it took them about 10-12 weeks to finish mine so I think you're probably ok. You can definitely call them to ensure they received all your paperwork and get an update on the timeline for you to receive a response. They're pretty good about letting you know the status of your file.

Comment

• Originally posted by sookiestakehouse View Post

I had sent my reply letter and documentation (proof of shared custody) well before the deadline. At around week 8 I had received a letter stating that I had not provided sufficient proof therefore I was denied CCTB/OCB. Called CRA and it turned out that the notice was processed before my letter was and told to ignore it. Around 3 weeks later I had notification of eligibilty and a cheque was given with amounts going back to my original date of claim.

Delays could be for any reason. Maybe give them a call, or check your status on Canada website - My Account.

Comment

• Well another update.

I received a letter asking to confirm our shared parenting agreement and the start date of the shared parenting. It has not asked for any proof just a form with a check box and a place to enter a date. I checked yes and Aug 7, 2011. Should I just send in my separation agreement with it?

Second I received the response to my second appeal. The response was exactly the same. "You cannot appeal a decision when without an assessment being issued" They don't even send an assessment just a denial letter.

After the first denial I talked to the person and they told me I had to appeal the denial, which is exactly what I did.

These people piss me off.

Anyway I guess I have officially been accepted now so I guess I will just see what they say to my starting date of shared parenting.
                            Last edited by FB_; 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure when in July you sent your documents but it took them about 10-12 weeks to finish mine so I think you're probably ok. You can definitely call them to ensure they received all your paperwork and get an update on the timeline for you to receive a response. They're pretty good about letting you know the status of your file.

I sent the documents prior to July 2nd .. they confirmed receipt of them that day. They said that the began processing/reviewing the documents on August 12th. The gentleman I spoke to last week gave me a reference number and told me if I do not hear back to call them and follow up.

It's almost a week later and still nothing .. .no phone call or letter .. so I'll call tomorrow and see if I can find out anything. How exhausting!

Comment

• Just got the news last week .... They have accepted everything I sent back in July and have changed my status back to separated!

Thanks to all the information in this forum and everyone for sharing your experiences ... I'm sure I would have never been able to do this without all the valuable information that you have all shared!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X