Deciding What School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding What School

Currently share custody 50/50 access time. Kid starts school Sep 2015. I live in matrimonal home (for sale now) and ex lives 5 minutes away. Kid goes to daycare at facility in school in my encatchment area. Ex doesn't live in encatchment area.

If the house sells after Sep 2015 and the kid is registered and going to school, and I move 20-30 km across town, can I switch schools? I'm sure my ex will disagree and move to the encatchment area of the current school to keep the kid there.

Is it best to decide where I am going to live before I register for school to ensure I am not stuck living in the encatchment area for the rest of my life?

My employer is not forever, and I know a career location change will be required in my near future.

There's the catchment area (the geographic neighbhourhood surrounding a school) and there's the school district (the much wider area encompassing a lot of schools under the same school board). Check with your school board (if you don't know who to talk to, you should be able to contact the school trustee for your neighbourhood). Some school boards are quite flexible and do not restrict attendance to children who live in the catchment area (i.e. you could move outside the catchment area and your child wouldn't have to switch schools, as long as you're still within the school board's district).

My D8 has been going to the same school since the separation and neither her father nor I live in the designated catchment area for that school - it's halfway between our houses (it's also a really good school, and very close to the place where we both work).

Since at this point you don't know when the house will sell, or where you'll move to, or how long you'll stay at the new location, it makes sense to me to start the kid in the local school, then make every effort to keep her in that school, even if it means a lot of transportation on your part. This might mean committing yourself to staying in the school district, even if you move catchment areas. I "school-hopped" a lot as a kid because of parental moves; it really wasn't great.

Comment

Moving 30km, sounds like you are putting shared custody at risk IMO...

Comment

The issue is transportation It is just easier for a parent not to drive 20 minutes in the opposite direction to drop the kid off at school then drive 20 minutes back to where I just came from to go to work.

Especially when employment will definitally change within the next 3 years. Difficult to predict the unkown (where to live, what school to end up in).

It feels like a decision has to be made now, today, before Sep 2015 on where to live and where future employment could possibly be so that kid's school doesn't have to change later.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
          Moving 30km, sounds like you are putting shared custody at risk IMO...
          30 km is only 25 minute drive, is there case law that suggests that is too far of a distance? What is recommended distance for 50/50 schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by Canadaguy View Post
            30 km is only 25 minute drive, is there case law that suggests that is too far of a distance? What is recommended distance for 50/50 schedule?
            You're just opening the door, it depends on circumstances - what about traffic etc...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X