My day at court or self repped making a fool of myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My day at court or self repped making a fool of myself

So I went to court and self repped, I got the motion for the surname name change of the child(6 month old) and I want to thank all the members here for their 2 cents. I made a total fool of myself and the stress is still effecting me days later....feel better now but I dont like court...rather be spending time with the child...

I`m also looking for joint custody, the duty council heard my story and said I had a chance at joint custody even thou we live far apart due to the nature of our breakup(she left while pregnant moved in with family 5 hrs away and Ive been contesting ever since). but he stressed that I need a lawyer to get it done...I don't have the money for that ....more making a fool of myself in court....

I just got the name change but I`m looking to give it up...The long hrs driving home....made me think ..how far would you go to be a father...how about everything.

My new offer to settle

-She moves back to my area......
    -no name change.
    -she gets sole custody
    -no offset ever no mater how much money she makes or what the time split is between us on visitation is with the child...she gets maximum
    -I pay her moving expenses.... thinking $2000.00 paid over 4 months $500.0 monthly
    -I pay her 20% over base child support tables..ongoing
    -section 7 split according to income.

Looking to be a father ...its 5 hrs away one way....

If you have any thoughts pls chime in

If she has sole custody she can move anywhere anytime. Tread lightly.

Why do you think you made a fool of yourself?

How old is child? Why not go for prolonged holiday visitation, long weekends and PA day weekends so you can see child?

Comment

If she has sole custody, she determines where the child will live. (If she has shared or joint custody, she can live wherever she wants, but the child's residence would have to be determined with you).

What you're asking (for her to be required to move back to your area) is not consistent with the definition of sole custody (and is arguably not in the best interest of the child, as it would requre being uprooted and moved yet again). Your ex could agree to it and then not follow through, with no repercussions.

You need to either seek a change in custody so that it is shared (which would be a tough battle), or resolve to be the best possible father at a distance that you can be. Regulal calls, emails, Skype chats, weekend visits, holidays and so forth can make a big difference to a child.

Comment

Don't be so hard on yourself, there's nothing foolish about doing whatever you can to be with your child. You've made an offer that will surely tempt the ex to settle, though offering her sole custody - is that really what you want? Also why would you pay 20% over base child support tables?

I see that you can't afford a lawyer, though you could benefit from a free consultation to help you to put together a better offer?

Don't give up.

Comment

Originally posted by toronto_father2 View Post
          My new offer to settle

-no name change.
          -she gets sole custody
          -no offset ever no mater how much money she makes or what the time split is between us on visitation is with the child...she gets maximum
          -I pay her moving expenses.... thinking $2000.00 paid over 4 months $500.0 monthly
          -Getting the name change already shows you have some leverage. Don't give it up if it's important to you.

-Ask for 50/50 shared so she has to move back and can't move away again.

-Offer no offset until the child starts school. Gives her time to get back on her feet. Pay full table support, not extra.

-Paying her moving expenses is very generous of you.

-Section 7 could be split after the child starts school as well.

I'm assuming the child is an infant? Does Mom have a job or skills to get one? Don't give up. Get the child closer to you so you can be the Dad you want to be.

Comment

If the mother gets sole custody assume she can go wherever she wants (not always the case, but its the general rule).

Comment

Originally posted by toronto_father2 View Post
              -no name change.
              -she gets sole custody
              This reads like a bribe. You are offering to pay her above table support, no matter what the access time ratio is, if she moves back to your area. No matter what the access arrangements end up being, and no matter what your respective incomes end up being. So much potential for disaster! And if you give her sole custody, what guarantee do you have that she can't just move away again?

I would stick more to the 'traditional' setup, for which there are three options.

A) She moves back to your area, you share 50-50 time, and child support is done by normal offset.

OR

B) She stays in her current area, you get access of EoW and all holiday long weekends and PA day weekends and half of summer vacation once the child is in school, and your CS to her is reduced to account for your increased access costs.

OR

C) She stays in her current area, but the child moves to your home, and she gets access as in option B, while paying you CS.

All with joint custody and section according to income. Don't mention the name change at all; that issue is completed.

Let her pick which one she wants. Maybe partway through negotiations, you can offer to pay moving expenses to tip her over into option A.

All of them demonstrate that you want to be an involved father and that you have the best interests of the child in mind.

Comment

Let me blunt.

Of course, I don't know all the details.

But if you want to live close to your child - you need to move there.

It is done (again I haven't read all the details), but if she moved and has lived there for more than say a month - she's moved. It's a fact. Already done. FACT.

Don't expect to get an Order that she must move back.

Again, I don't know all the details, and I bet there is some case law where one parent has been forced to move back - but probably under completely different circumstances than you face.

I would love to hear your take on how you made a fool of yourself in court.

Not because I wish to shame you, or even laugh 'with' you -
                but these sort of details may/may not be REALLY helpful to the next guy/girl facing the bench as self rep.

Please share?

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                  This reads like a bribe. You are offering to pay her above table support, no matter what the access time ratio is, if she moves back to your area. No matter what the access arrangements end up being, and no matter what your respective incomes end up being. So much potential for disaster! And if you give her sole custody, what guarantee do you have that she can't just move away again?

I would stick more to the 'traditional' setup, for which there are three options.

A) She moves back to your area, you share 50-50 time, and child support is done by normal offset.

OR

B) She stays in her current area, you get access of EoW and all holiday long weekends and PA day weekends and half of summer vacation once the child is in school, and your CS to her is reduced to account for your increased access costs.

OR

C) She stays in her current area, but the child moves to your home, and she gets access as in option B, while paying you CS.

All with joint custody and section according to income. Don't mention the name change at all; that issue is completed.

Let her pick which one she wants. Maybe partway through negotiations, you can offer to pay moving expenses to tip her over into option A.

All of them demonstrate that you want to be an involved father and that you have the best interests of the child in mind.
                  Bribery can work.

Are you sure you're not (speaking to the OP, here.) just reacting to the fact you just had you a$$ handed to you at motion?

Maybe take a few days to think it over before sending this offer along?

Just a suggestion.

Comment

Do not sighn anything. Hold your ground and let this thing go all the way. You will win everything if you follow these instructions.

Comment

My new offer to settle

-no name change.
                      -she gets sole custody

If you have any thoughts pls chime in[/QUOTE]
                      Last edited by Franklin; 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Failed to navigate the system properly .

Comment

Its all in the wording. Joint or Sole mean very little . Be specific and make sure to include you share transportation to and form. Sighn nothing ever until she moves back and returns the daughters name back to birthdate. You will be rewarded for protecting the rights of your child to a father. Fight for it, things can change for the better or worse but this is now and I somehow feel you know what is right and wrong. Easy is usually wrong , from my experiences anyway . Good good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post

My new offer to settle

-no name change.
                            -she gets sole custody

This is a bad offer in my opinion. The likely hood of a judge having her move 5 hours away from her family with an infant child is little to none.

You best offer would be:

--OFFER #1--
                            - Joint custody with a 50/50 shared custody schedule.
                            Mon-Tue with you
                            Wed-Thu with her
                            Fri-Sat-Sun with you for week 1, flip opposite for week 2
                            - Pick a school for the child in your school district and propose it to her.
                            - The rest (support, expenses, name, etc) will all be decided once the above is finalized so at this time they are not really relevant.
                            - She will likely reject this offer because she will probably not move. Get the reason in writing why she rejects this offer.

--OFFER #2--
                            -After she rejects the above offer, and if she says she can't afford to move, then offer to pay her moving expenses.
                            - If she rejects offer #1 because she doesn't want to move away from her family, her support, than you will need to move beside her if you want to be an equal parent and not an access parent.

--OFFER #3--
                            - If you can't move, fight in court for offer #1 and prepare a full parenting plan with all the details (CS, expenses, moving clause, etc). Ask the courts to decide in your favor for 50/50 and the child's school to be in your school district.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for replying...Its taken me a few days to unwind from last weeks court visit.....

Question....the only issue left is that I`m seeking is joint custody....Ive excepted that the child will be raised with the mother (5hrs away) and I`ll have to do all the traveling for the next 10 years or so...but I want to be an important part of the childs life none the less....how do I frame this...do I just ask the judge for joint at the next motion date...or write up an offer to settle....

The other lawyer called my sanity into question in front of the judge....basically calling me crazy......I responded.... "of course I`m crazy...have only seen the child once since birth (4 months) despite repeated efforts and inquiries...I think its a normal response to a very unfair situation(described my pain at not seeing the child, the mother has not stated why I cant see the child and we have had no police involvement..) "....judge just said "ok....lets move on then"....That sort of sums up how the day went.....

I did sign an agreement......I recognized that she will have primary residence.....And some other items that we had agreed to in already in regards to support....

I had prepared the motion on the issue of name surname change and the Moms lawyer agreed immediately to the change...thank you all the members who assisted me with answers to my questions on that....they fought it tooth and nail but when faced with the avalanche of information this issue was dealt with as if it was regular procedure.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X