Stopping support payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post
    I had 2 kids with my ex. We lived a good lifestyle. Standard of living is important to me and my kids. My friends told me I'm entitled to more since there is such an income disparity. My ex doesn't think I deserve to get the increase from his income since separation but that isn't fair to me.

You are getting divorced. You are no longer entitled to that lifestyle or his income. Your friends are not lawyers. Get it through your head.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      You are getting divorced. You are no longer entitled to that lifestyle or his income. Your friends are not lawyers. Get it through your head.
      I believe I'm entitled to compensatory support. He was just starting out when we married and the income increases he has had is based on the same job with more experience. Why would I not be entitled?

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
        I have read your posts. I am concerned about what is "truly" important to you. You will have your kids 1/2 the time. Kids don't necessarily care about 5 vacations per year. What they care about is a loving home and parents who are there for them. Regardless of money. You seem fixated on getting as much money from your ex as possible, rather than focusing on moving forward with your kids and your new boyfriend. Play the lottery rather than try to squeeze every dime out of your ex.
        It is important my kids are able to enjoy a similar lifestyle with me just like they have with their dad. My children are old enough to appreciate vacations and nice things.

I am slowly introducing my boyfriend to my kids so they become familiar with him but it's a process.

Comment

I believe I'm entitled to compensatory support. He was just starting out when we married and the income increases he has had is based on the same job with more experience. Why would I not be entitled?

You’re only entitled to the increases when you were married. Plus he has been paying you for what must be five years by now. If you had finalized the paperwork five years ago the support would likely have terminated by now. Not to mention if his income increased AFTER you split, you aren’t entitled to that increase for anything but child support calculations.

Comment

It is important my kids are able to enjoy a similar lifestyle with me just like they have with their dad. My children are old enough to appreciate vacations and nice things.

I am slowly introducing my boyfriend to my kids so they become familiar with him but it's a process.

Your kids are going to have differing levels of lifestyle in both houses. Would you be open to sharing more with your ex if you were to marry someone who makes more money than him? If you were so worried about being disney mom then you shouldn’t have quit to start a business and pay your new bf an income. You should have gone and found another sugar daddy you could use for money. Like we’ve all been saying, your ex is an ex. He is not responsible for giving you all the things he would if you were still married.

Comment

If you were so worried about being disney mom then you shouldn�t have quit to start a business and pay your new bf an income. You should have gone and found another sugar daddy you could use for money. Like we�ve all been saying, your ex is an ex. He is not responsible for giving you all the things he would if you were still married.
              Oh, this is that person?!! Still?
              This can't be a real situation if it is they are scammers.

I do not believe this person.

Comment

You�re only entitled to the increases when you were married. Plus he has been paying you for what must be five years by now. If you had finalized the paperwork five years ago the support would likely have terminated by now. Not to mention if his income increased AFTER you split, you aren�t entitled to that increase for anything but child support calculations.
                I would be fine just taking the increase in extra child support since he's trying to cut off my spousal but he's arguing his new income for child support would be a transfer of wealth to me since the children don't live the lifestyle of his new increased income at either household. I could use this extra money to pay down debt.

Comment

You mean the debt you are incurring by being unreasonable? Why should he pay that for you again?

Comment

he's arguing his new income for child support would be a transfer of wealth to me since the children don't live the lifestyle of his new increased income at either household. I could use this extra money to pay down debt.

Sincere question: what is your IQ?

Leave child support out of it. It will be adjusted every year.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
                      Sincere question: what is your IQ?
                      Leave child support out of it. It will be adjusted every year.
                      OK this is was a bit harsh.
                      Divorce is a financial disaster for everyone involved. Downgrades happen regularly. Your kids don't get the same lifestyle, that is for the super rich. Nothing wrong with living in a small townhouse. Rebuild.

Free (worthless?) advice. Don't try and live up to the expectations of your friends divorces; that isn't happening
                      Your friends may have done well in their divorces because they divorced more amicably or they had something on their exes; they didn't divorce your ex. Maybe theirs had higher incomes, maybe they are not telling you the truth.

Your ex hates you
                      He doesn't remember or care that you are the mother of their children. He doesn't care that you once loved each other if you ever did.
                      He hates you. If you were drowning he would offer you a glass of water then visit your grave and piss on it. That is what you have to accept here, you have no leverage.

You made mistakes, big ones
                      I said it before and I will say it again. Beg for forgiveness and settle. If you can't have him show pity to get what you want still settle. This is killing you and you should move on.

You may have to ditch your friends
                      Just saying, they may make you feel bad. You will find new ones.
                      Go with a good lawyers advice, don't be greedy, they will get more of your money if they think they can get it. You might need a new lawyer with a limited retainer...just ask them to review the agreement and ask them if it is fair. I may know a couple, someone else may too...you need the collaborative "lets not fight" lawyer.

Just saying.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X