FRO - How bad is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serene View Post
    Okay sorry, I misread original post from Arabian, and got payor and recipient confused in her post. Oopsie!
    it happens lol.

Comment

Despite all the horror stories, I've never had an issue with FRO.

My ex put me on despite the fact our separation Agreement said we wouldn't unless I was late, and she didn't even wait for the next month after the agreement was signed.

Last year I had to go through the paperwork to get my son taken off support as he moved in with me. It took three months, but I did get a retroactive reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
        Okay sorry, I misread original post from Arabian, and got payor and recipient confused in her post. Oopsie!
        No worries - the latter part of my post was my attempt to be sarcastic and I failed to indicate that.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingForward View Post
          So then - did you get back the money for the two months of CS when they weren't entitled to it?

I ask because my ex will fight and respond and deny and delay and use every trick possible. Maybe just having FRO implement will be better...
          Yes, they sent me a cheque for the overpayment as I'm still paying for my younger kids.

I don't know how that would happen if it were only one child, in regards to recouping the overpayment? Anyone? I guess try to get the ball rolling two months prior to no longer being eligible. However you need a cooperative ex to do that, hence the two month delay, as I was never advised.

Comment

Cheque received! I can hardly believe it! Started process January 3rd and today received overpayment refund! So 3 months isn't too bad compared to the court process and no lawyer fees.

Comment

There is a new site that was started recently with plenty of information about FRO it is called "Frostrating"

Does anyone know how to contact the creator of the website "Frostrating"? Perhaps, they are a contributor to this forum?

Comment

here's one for you - over 2 million in arrears:

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...4onsc2868.html

I've never heard of arrears reaching that number before. When you make that sort of money you can afford a car and a driver - who needs a license? Now the passport might pose a problem if one wanted to take in some sunshine in the winter months.

Comment

Here are my favourite excerpts:

16. Perhaps the most distinguishing feature of this case is the magnitude of the numbers. The Respondent seems to be borrowing a page from the “too big to fail” school of modern economics. At a certain stage, if you owe enough, they can’t possibly expect you to pay.
                  17. I do not accept that proposition – and especially not on these facts. Allowing arrears to accumulate into the millions of dollars is not a mitigating factor. It is an aggravating factor. If we are too quick to resign ourselves to the notion that huge arrears are uncollectable, our system will simply encourage more instances of huge arrears.

Comment

I have to say that my experience has not been a positive one.

I am in a 50/50 arrangement and I pay offset child support due to a large gap in income. Because I am the support "Payor", they will only enforce expenses for the recipient. So, if my ex files an expense, FRO automatically puts me in arrears. If I incure an expense, I must go back to court because they only enforce one way.

In my case, my ex fired our caregiver and enrolled him for child care only on her days. She filles the paperwork with FRO and I am stuck paying for it (about 2/3 of the total cost) when I can provide the service for free.

I've yet to see the up-side as a support payer, they only provide enforecement for the support recipient.

Comment

FRO - Good and the bad

I have a question, what happens when a Service Rep within FRO decides what he/she will choose to enforce from a Final Court Order, and Support Deduction Order? I recently completed a trial on all support obligations retroactive + prospectively and the Service Rep stated "I should go back to the judge to ask whether or not he really meant to make the decision he did".

I have concerns as I'm not disputing order (I fully agree with the decision), I just want FRO to enforce the Order, but they will not respond to my letters, or calls and instead issued an amended support garnishment order that has a different start date (later), arrears amount + payment schedule (that was not part of the either trial order), but for the lesser order support amount.

Comment

Originally posted by ScaredandConfused View Post
                        I have a question, what happens when a Service Rep within FRO decides what he/she will choose to enforce from a Final Court Order, and Support Deduction Order? I recently completed a trial on all support obligations retroactive + prospectively and the Service Rep stated "I should go back to the judge to ask whether or not he really meant to make the decision he did".

I have concerns as I'm not disputing order (I fully agree with the decision), I just want FRO to enforce the Order, but they will not respond to my letters, or calls and instead issued an amended support garnishment order that has a different start date (later), arrears amount + payment schedule (that was not part of the either trial order), but for the lesser order support amount.
                        If I'm not mistaken, FRO does not have the right to interfere with court ordered decisions. Their mandate is to collect whatever amounts are owed according to judgment.

The only time payments would vary is if EX is collecting unemployment insurance in which case FRO can only take 50% of that amount - the rest would be added up as arrears. If you have a lawyer, get him/her to take care of this asap. It's sound to me like your support order is somewhat confusing?

Keep calling them and if necessary ask to speak with a supervisor until you get this prob. cleared up.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X