X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the flogging begin

I have a situation that I would love to have members reaction to,
    I know the usual crowd of throw them to the wolves will chirp in but some constructive help in what is becoming an impossible situation would be helpful.

My spouse of 21 years left 18 months ago and moved approx 450km away from the children and I. Child support was agreed to in mediation and is paid but upon sale of our house they and their lawyer refused to equally divide the proceeds 50/50 and are holding them in trust,
    They have canceled all mediation since February claiming the house had to be sold first, it was in July and still no mediation. [B]However[/B] we did receive an offer this week,and its a real joke for us, my spouse is a high earner as was I until a series of heart attacks a few years ago so we agreed I'd stay home and deal with the house and children one is 15 and the other is 8
    Ready for this! No spousal at all 1/2 of the home less the gift the parents gave us 18 years ago of 20,000 no medical insurance or any other offset,
    and 60,000 to cover the RRSP'S that my spouse drained over the last 30 months and all claims of support now and in the future,.
    And they are bitching that the children and I moved closer to friend and family back where we lived 6 years ago, to a home farther away from my spouse in the opposite direction to their move (of 450km) and are threatening to fight the move to the new home. New home is 40km from matrimonial home.(they forced me to leave)
    What a joy to fight a person that ran out on misappropriation of funds in the job as an accountant, assaulted me 2 times in front of the kids was found guilty and is on parole and as I discover in the papers they left had a 7 year affair with a coworker, has held back all financial avenues from us save the schedule child support.
    One little tidbit, they had a parent die earlier this year and inherited millions
    seems they did mot want to be around when the terminal cancer finally provided the inheritance, I know I'm not able to go after that but the kids and I do need support and medical and some sense of stability.
    Thanks for your support and suggestions

I think the ruling judge took note of the fact that you were capable of being self supportive, and for whatever reason your resent health problems where not strongly delivered and may have been over sighted. Since you were in a 32 year relationship and only unable to work for the "last few years".

I think that your lawyer should have played up your heart attacks and how they have left you unable to be self-supportive.

Getting half of the home etc after the sale, and his getting the inclusion of the additional monies provided for the purchase of the home is actually common.

I suspect you have been granted child support. You could always return and ask for him to maintain the children on any health plans, and yourself as well. However, note that a material change must have taken place in order to ask for any motion or re-visit of past judgements. You could ask your lawyer on that point. I have a close friend, divorced, but he still has health coverage, so judge ruled she could be kept on his coverage as long as he is working and as long as the company allows, after all they are divorced. She is on his plan until he retires, which helps out alot as she has significant health problems and heavy medical bills.

Just my two cents worth

Comment

that should have read 21year relationship

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X