Paying support on OW??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying support on OW??

So the girlfriend got an order against the father a year ago for him to pay child support which was imputed because he refused to do a financial statement during trial so I was curious since he hasn't been paying anything (won't work to avoid garnishing) and we found out recently hes been on OW a few months can FRO take anything from his monthly checks??

I don't believe you can. OW is one of those unusual things that cannot be garnished.

Also, it is a nominal amount anyway. Garnishing it would leave him almost nothing to live on.

Comment

Yes, it's odd......they don't garnish OW disability either......But they garnish disability insurance income from work companies!

Comment

Thanks all.. I did read something from the OW site about a support deduction order that can take at max 10% but I'm not exactly sure how that works yet.

Comment

Originally posted by LePeR1898 View Post
          Thanks all.. I did read something from the OW site about a support deduction order that can take at max 10% but I'm not exactly sure how that works yet.
          I believe what you are referring to is if someone is on OW and they owe the government money. OW will claw back a max of 10%. If someone is on OW and they do not receive CS or SS when they should, OW will provide what they need to get an order in place for CS or SS, however I have never heard of someone on OW being required to pay CS. Why? Because the assistance they receive is usually below the guidelines required to pay CS.

Remember, you can only include income that is for the parent not for the child. Most times its around $600 a month given as assistance to the parent, that is only $7200 a year, well below the guidelines for support.

My cousin who is currently living with me gets $700 a month to live on and that includes her 4 month old baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
            I believe what you are referring to is if someone is on OW and they owe the government money. OW will claw back a max of 10%. If someone is on OW and they do not receive CS or SS when they should, OW will provide what they need to get an order in place for CS or SS, however I have never heard of someone on OW being required to pay CS. Why? Because the assistance they receive is usually below the guidelines required to pay CS.

Remember, you can only include income that is for the parent not for the child. Most times its around $600 a month given as assistance to the parent, that is only $7200 a year, well below the guidelines for support.

My cousin who is currently living with me gets $700 a month to live on and that includes her 4 month old baby.
            Maybe i just read it wrong.. But yea it would be minimal anyways

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X