Is EMT safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is EMT safe?

Is email money transfer safe? I mean what if the receiver does not receive it into his/her own account and instead receives it into someone else's account then how would you prove that you paid SS?

You get an email notification that the payment has been received and processed into a bank account by the recipient. It has that person's email information it doesn't matter where it goes as long as the person named as the recipient is the one that processed it.

Comment

Thanks for super fast reply! What if the recipient has a friend with the exact same first and last name and the money is received into friend's account then what?

Comment

The information that is needed to access the money is sent to the recipient's email address. Those are not the same between two people. The person receiving the money has to open the email, follow the instructions, answer a security question and then they choose the bank account that will get the money. There is no "accidentally" posted it to someone else's account.

Comment

Originally posted by viewfromthecheapseats View Post
          The information that is needed to access the money is sent to the recipient's email address. Those are not the same between two people. The person receiving the money has to open the email, follow the instructions, answer a security question and then they choose the bank account that will get the money. There is no "accidentally" posted it to someone else's account.
          I have done EMT many times and I understand that but thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the receiver intentionally receiving the money into his/her friend's account so that the receiver can say that he/she never received it.

Comment

There should be no problem -

1. you send the money to you ex's known email address and put a security question.
            2. she receives the email , clicks the link
            3. chooses her bank
            4. Answers the security question
            5. Money is deposited.

You can then print out a list of transactions made and the email recipient of those transactions is included.

Its one of easiest traceable ways to send money.

Comment

Originally posted by sam666 View Post
              I have done EMT many times and I understand that but thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the receiver intentionally receiving the money into his/her friend's account so that the receiver can say that he/she never received it.
              If you can prove that you sent money to an email address held by someone with the same first and last name as your ex, and you used a non-obvious security question (i.e. not "what color is the sky?", more like "in what city was your father born?" ), I think you've fulfilled your obligation to send money to your ex. S/he can direct it into whatever account s/he wants and make up whatever story s/he wants about a friend with the same name, but your responsibility ends when you send the money to him/her in good faith.

Comment

Hello Sam

My ex was audited this year by the government. He used only the copies of the emailed eTransfers from the bank as receipts for Spousal Support. They didn't require anything else.

Banks have very good tracking systems these days.

Good luck.

Comment

Just a thought......

EMT is safe and easy, but as a counter point I prefer to write a cheque when there is the chance of dispute.

For S7 I write a cheque with the memo filled in as to what the payment is for... ie month of XXXXX daycare... 2 or 3 times my ex has come back months after the S7 item was incurred, and said I hadn't paid my S7 share. I emailed her the returned cheque imagine from on-line banking with a "see attached for proof of past payment".

The memo line matched the S7 item she said I hadn't paid for...

She's incredibly disorganized.....
                  Last edited by movingON1975; 10-09-2014, 09:35 AM. Reason: "making the grammar gooder" ;)

Comment

If you are really paranoid about this you can pay her via money order where there is a place to fill in the details.

I suspect you are more concerned that she is directing money to someone else perhaps?

Comment

When you are completing your transfer, there is a spot for a "memo" and I would strongly suggest you memo the transfer as "child support payable for the month of ----" so as to ensure it not be confused as a gift or other monetary transfer.
                      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Agreed with Mcdreamy, write in "child support for October 2014" I'm the memo field. Your obligation is to send the money, she is free to deposit it wherever she wants, but regardless where it gets deposited to, you will receive an email confirmation that it has been accepted.

Comment

ok, if it does not matter where or whose account he/she is directing the money into then I guess there is no issue. I was more concerned about if CRA asks for signed receipts form him/her and he/she may say that he/she never received the money because it did not go into him/her own account.

Comment

Why would CRA care about child support payments?

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                              Why would CRA care about child support payments?
                              Well.....

Total annual support payments are first applied to child support owing, then to spousal support when CRA is calculating the tax refund which is attracted by spousal support payment deduction......

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X