Substantive vs procedural orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substantive vs procedural orders

I was under the impression that at a case conference or settlement conference, a judge only makes procedural orders and not substantive orders. If so, then why is there a box asking if you want the court to make a temporary or final order? Please explain!

Originally posted by fairlight View Post
    I was under the impression that at a case conference or settlement conference, a judge only makes procedural orders and not substantive orders. If so, then why is there a box asking if you want the court to make a temporary or final order? Please explain!
    LInk to the form you are talking about or the form name and number would be helpful in answering your question.

Comment

He is referring to question 9 on Form 17C- Settlement Conference Brief. I wondered the same thing going to Settlement Conferences. The issues were custody and access, and it asks if you want the judge to make an order on the issues, where they cannot make an order at these things unless it’s consent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        LInk to the form you are talking about or the form name and number would be helpful in answering your question.
        Form 17A Case Conference Brief
        Form 17C Settlement Conference Brief

Comment

Originally posted by fairlight View Post
          Urgent issues like interim support or interim custody can be ordered on a temporary basis until consent is achieved or a final order is granted. If you have an interim agreement on consent this is not necessary. If you settle partially then you can ask for a consent order on each settled item and then subsume those in the final agreement that you file on consent. Otherwise, the final order from the court can be different from the temporary order(s)

Comment

Thank you. But that section also indicates the possibility of a final order, so I am confused on that.

Comment

I believe you can request a final order. If you want that then check the box. Often in pre-trial an temporary order is all that is requested especially to keep cash flowing and kids moving or protected.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X