Allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowance

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are about giving your child an allowance. If you do at what age do you start? Are there strings attached like completion of chores and good behaviour. How much do you give for what age? Do they have to put some away for savings or can they blow it all?

Great topic, I haven't even thought of giving my kids an allowance. Seems almost old school, since kids are so entitled now. I like the idea of saving half and spending half. Looking forward to post re age appropriate amounts.

Personally I would base it on chores, because if its good behaviour, they would owe me at the end of the week

Comment

The other thing to consider ( or maybe not) is do they get an allowance at the other parents house. If so is it the same amount with the same conditions or do you give a tooney a week tied to chores and the other parent gives ten bucks a week no strings attached?

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
        Personally I would base it on chores, because if its good behaviour, they would owe me at the end of the week

Haha, that's sort of what I do! I don't base allowance completely on chores because I want them to learn money management and that chores are a part of life, but the base amount is small and they can increase it by being proactive and cheerful about their chores. However, I also give them the choice of paying me to do their chores.

Comment

All depends on the amount of child support being paid. If you are the parent receiving the child support then ultimately it is your responsibility to dispense the money to the child... As CS is technically their money anyways.

Comment

We had 50/50 access. At my house I gave our kids a monthly allowance that was based on their age (9 yrs old, get 9 dollars per month and put 10 percent in a savings jar). It was not based on chores or good behavior. If/when they wanted something that was more than their allowance, they had to save up for it (for ex going to movies). As teens, if their allowance was not enough, my response, get a job. Taught them the value of money for sure, they were not quick to waste their money either. And the allowance stops at 18. No clue what was done at their mother's house.
            Last edited by first timer; 01-18-2018, 01:24 PM. Reason: add

Comment

I never received allowance as a kid... we were just expected to help out around the house because we lived there and were part of the family and that’s just what you do. That being said... if we wanted to go to the movies with our friends we were always given the money to do so. This maybe happened once ever 1-2 months. If we wanted a toy as long as it wasn’t super expensive my parents bought it for us. We were never paid per say for doing chores around the house.

We do the same with my step kids (despite paying full support)... they are expected to help out around the house and are not paid for doing so... but it’s not often we tell them no if they want something... if it’s a bigger item they wait for their birthday or Christmas.

Comment

My kids were expected to contribute and had regular chores, no allowance. They were rewarded if they chose to do something extra but there was no expectation of being rewarded. If they wanted to earn money there was always a list of chores with a dollar values for each they could choose to do, only if all their regular stuff was done. They eere not allowed to choose to do all of the paid chores instead of unpaid.

That and. .they were allowed to live there.

Comment

I have a friend who gives her teen daughter x amount of money spring summmer fall and winter for clothes. Tells her this is your clothing money and it’s up to you to budget. If you blow it all on one fancy pair of designer jeans, etc. Too bad. She has to wait until the next quarter to buy more clothes. I thought this was a unique way to teach a teen the value of money and budgeting.

Comment

I had something similar as a child. From about age 12 on, my mom gave me my portion of the "family allowance:, it was about 28-30$/month then. I was soley responsible for all of my clothing, and anything else I chose to buy (make up, snacks, books, etc). It wasnt a lot then and wouldnt have kept me clothed, but I also babysat. I would love to do something similar and make my older boys responsible for something but they couldnt care a less about clothes and would probably wear rags and blow all the money on junk food and video games. I give them a smaller allowance (relative to the time) and it is spending money basically.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X