Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 PM

momof 3C's is on a distinguished road
Question vehicle question

I am driving my husband's mini van a 98 safari until we settle our separtation agreement. The alternator went on the van tonight and I paid to tow it back to the house.He states I was in possession therefore I need to pay for the repair but the vehicle is in his name. Who is responsible to pay to fix his vehicle? I can't afford to buy a vehicle of my own until the settlement is done.
Thanks,
Sherri
Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

If you had borrowed the car of a friend how would handle it?

If you used it for an hour and the alternator blew, you would offer to pay for the tow but the friend should pay for the alternator.

If you were using it for weeks every day and the alternator blew, then you should offer to pay for half the cost. The repair was partly due to your extra use of the vehilcle, but the friend will benefit over the long term from the repair.

Or you could hire a lawyer to represent you in court when the friend sues you for the cost of the alternator.

It would be better to not focus on law and who is legally responsible for what, but to work it out between you in a way that doesn't include any animosity.
Closed Thread