Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta MEP and offset CS - any experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta MEP and offset CS - any experiences?

Picking up from my other thread ...

So I just called MEP to inquire about registering my order and having all payments go through MEP. The lady I spoke to was a bit baffled by the concept of offset CS (where the child resides equally with both parents and so both parents pay each other child support - the amount that changes hands each month is the difference between the higher earner and the lower earner. This offset is recalculated annually when the parents exchange financial information). She said that the vast majority of files they handle have one parent as the payor and one as the recipient.

Has anyone here with shared parenting and offset CS gone through MEP? Has it worked out? I can't believe that it's so rare that MEP doesn't know what to do with it.

I made an appointment to go in with my order and financials next week to talk to a staff member in person, so if people here are interested, I can report back what I learned.

my personal experience with MEP has been varied as unlike Ontario and other provinces MEP Alberta has no file ownership. In other words you deal with whom ever picks up the phone in their call centre. Some are good others are downright dumb IMO.

You are wise to go in and meet with them.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X