This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so tired. :(

I am currently pursuing sole custody of my two children 10 and 12.

It's not what I wanted. Not for me. Not for them. I had really hoped that we could keep their best interests in the forefront and parent together. And for the first 4 or 5 months after our split, it seemed that it would be that way.

And then came the other woman....now I'm not "blaming" her per se because obviously he makes his own choices, but since he met, dated and ultimately married (within 6 months) this new woman, every idea he ever had about parenting has changed. And every inclination to try to coparent has disappeared.

He won't talk to me - EVER - only through email. He tells the kids that they should not talk about me or my family in his home because it is "disrespectful" to his new family. He will not attend child functions, such as parent-teacher interviews with me. The younger of our 2 is having some medical problems and he won't come to the appointments. If he decides he needs to talk to a teacher or doctor or whatever, he makes his own appointment. How on earth are we supposed to parent like that?

Perfect example - the other day he invited the kids to dinner during MY time without asking me first. Of course I let them go, because they wanted to but I sent him a polite request for him to please ask me first. His response? "I don't need your permission to invite the kids, they need your permission to come." Is it just me or is that just totally backwards??? Yes, ultimately it's my time and my choice if I let them go, but it puts me in an awkward position if he asks them first and then I say "no, you can't see your dad because you have too much homework" or whatever other valid reason there may be. I don't know how to describe WHY or HOW I feel that this approach is harmful to the kids and impairs our ability to coparent. (This is a very small example, last fall he "invited" them to go live with his then-girlfriend-now-wife)

He won't talk to me so I don't know how to communicate that I am only asking for sole custody because he is making it impossible to coparent. I think it would be better for the kids if he would just participate cooperatively.

I am just so sad that it has come to this and today it's overwhelming.

I find myself wishing away the next 6 years - so that my babies will be making their own choices - but how horribly sad is that. They only grow up once.

To keep it in perspective - I left and also have a new partner and my ex likes to tell the children that it's "my fault" that he had to get married again and things had to change, since I left.

Sorry to hear about your situation. That is an extremly tough and energy draining experience.

It's the children that really suffer, cause their loyalties and love are with both parents ... think of their struggle.

Co parenting can be difficult without communication ... his only method of communicating to you via Email gives me the sense that he is documenting your conversations?

He seems to be holding onto alot of resentment to the fact the marriage broke down ... not only in his actions but his words. It may take time for both of you to heal. Much anger in him.

You know, you cant change him, only you and the way you react to things ... that is always in your control.

It is sad and frustrating ... and you taking action, is the first step to changing all that.

Blessings to you on your quest.

Hubby

Comment

My condolences...

Sk8r, that just sucks! I'm so sorry you've got such a butthead for an ex to deal with, and even sorrier for your poor kids , who the butthead is clearly putting in the middle with his childish antics! As a judge once said about my ex, "Unfortunately, stupidity is not against the law". Your ex is more than a jerk; you don't burden kids with adult issues like where they will live.. that's WHAT PARENTS ARE FOR! I would strongly advise you to document, document, document, and I hope that you win sole custody; someone with his mentality should not have the right to contribute to important life decisions for the children, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by sasha1
        As a judge once said about my ex, "Unfortunately, stupidity is not against the law".
        How true!!!

Comment

Lets face it ,you left and he is still at this point apparently not too happy about it. Most of us have done or said at least one or two things we may have not normally in times of seperation. So what if he wants to visits the teachers and doctors on his own, this will most likely pass with time. Then again maybe not a least he appears to take an interest it's just not in the manner you would prefer. Since you really do have a means to communicate even if it is only by e-mail perhaps a gentle suggestion about the really important topics such as getting your approval first prior to making arrangements with the children during your time and other important issues related to fairness to you and/or the children. Another advantage to e-mail is there can be no miscomminication everything is documented if you do need to head back to court at some point. It sure sounds like an annoying way to co-parent but it could be way worse. The priority is the relationship with the children, if you suceed in gaining sole custody you may risk the resentment of your children for a life time. Just a thought.

Comment

Sk8er,

Not a great situation. Do you jave joint custody and joint access now? Are you saying you want sole-custody but joint access? Are do you want sole-custody and basically sole-access? There is a difference between custody and access. Can you please clarify.

I really think you getting sole-custody or sole-access will not happen. Why? This sounds more like bad blood vs bad parenting or bad decision making. Do you disagree with schools? Church? Medical?

So he has different rules at his house. A judge won't care.

And none of this behaviour will go away with more legal action - most likely it will get worse.

What are you trying to accomplish? Think about that first. Stop circling the wagons....

Comment

BTW, kids are smart, if your husband is a wing-nut, he will lose out in the end.

My ex plays all kinds of crap with me using the kids... in the end... god help her.

Comment

but how long does it take for the wing nut to lose out?
                It sounds like Sk8r is getting worn out - the waiting period is just too long

Comment

you got it lady luck

Dad is a wingnut. Of course I realize that is just 'my opinion'. As for me leaving and him being bitter - I left in October, Dad remarried in September - I'd say he got over it.

Currently we have a temp order for primary residence with me and visits with Dad every other weekend. Basically the current arrangement is fine with me -but somebody has to be able to make a final decision because we do not agree on ANYTHING. Everything we ever taught the kids he now disagrees with. And he is vocal to them about it - criticising my faith, my morals you name it. It took me 6 weeks to get him to sign a consent for our child to see a psychologist.

And as Lady Luck pointed out so well...I am tired. I am tired of trying to keep things right for my children. I'm tired of waiting to see if in the end doing what's right for the kids and being the best parent I know how to be is enough.

Comment

How are things going Sk8r?
                    Have not heard from you for a while, I hope things are improving.

Comment

Thanks for asking Polar.

Same old same old. The kids forever have some new "oddball" thing to tell me. I wish they wouldn't but they don't even realize they are telling me things that will get me going.

Last night my daughter told me that she had asked her dad if she could call me for help with homework last weekend. He said Why? You're in this home, we can help you. Which is fine - I understand that. But then he said "when you are here, this is your family and the other family doesn't exist."

It's stuff like that ALL THE TIME. It's twisted and hurtful and confusing for the kids. And to an extent, I know he just doesn't know how to express himself. I'm sure he just meant that she can depend on them and that she doesn't need me when she is there, but it comes out all wrong.

Today I'm having a good day. I feel equipped to handle the wait and comfortable that the outcome will be good for the kids. But sometimes I have overwhelming fear for them.

Comment

I can only imagine.
                        They definitely should not be telling the kids not to call you for help!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X